We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cooking class in Ubud?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
28 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Best cooking class in Ubud?

Hi,

I'll being in Ubud in March for a week and would like to join a cooking class. Wonder which is better - Paon Cooking class is highly rated in TA while i read of Casa Luna and also Lake Lake and some others..

Would love to hear from those who have joined before - and your recommendation - thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

Cafe Wayan cooking class at Lake Leke is fantastic. It is informative, hands on and fun. We sat down after the class in the restaurant and ate the food that we had cooked, there was way too much for us to finish and it was very yummy! There is a maximum of 6 people in the group but no market tour.

I enjoyed this class and highly recommend it. I had thought that next time I would try Paon for a change but at the moment I am reading "Fragrant Rice" by Janet De Neefe, the owner of Casa Luna and am enjoying the book so much that I want to try her class as well! I might have to do both now!

Have a look at their menu choices to help you decide and also decide whether you want to be more hands on and if you want the market tour or not. I don't think you can go wrong with which ever one you choose.

Cheers

Wellington
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

I've done 2 or 3 classes at Casa Luna and 1 with Paon. I'd rate Casa Luna slightly higher for info about the food and culture with a more in-depth market tour, and of course they have more classes with more choice of menus to cook. They can be a bit sloppy around letting you know when they cancel classes (maybe because there are not enough participants) so if you opt for them, keep in touch and have a plan b in case this happens. Paon gave a really interesting insight into rice growing, and an opportunity to visit the family temple plus see a traditional kitchen. The market visit was a bit rushed - no opportunity to buy things - and there were a couple of times the day lacked momentum. It was a large group on the day I went though (maybe 12?) and rainy so this may be why - it has certainly had good reviews as you say. They are both a worthwhile day.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 03:37
Penang Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

Hi,

Besides the website for Paon cooking class contact, does anyone know alternative contact email? As I have tried to contact them through their website, but there is no response from them?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

Hi AhkowChen,

In a previous thread someone posted having received an email reply from Paon from the following address - subawaubud@yahoo.com

This is the thread

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297701-i8984-k…

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

I have just booked a Cooking Class with them via their website email and they got back to me within 2 days...and have emailed them several times since and they have always responded!!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
28 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

Hi! Thanks for the feedback!

Oh in fact I will be staying at Alam Shanti for a couple of days and perhaps can try Lake Leke.. does this cooking class have a website? also anyone know if the fees are similar or is there one that's more `value for money' since i'm blowing quite a bit on accommodation!

Do you need to book a cooking class well in advance? or is it ok to book while I'm in Ubud itself? (i will be in Ubud from March 3-8..not sure if that's a tourist season or not)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

I don't know the prices of the other classes, only Cafe Wayan at Lake Leke. It was 350,000 RP in June last year.

We booked spur of the moment the day before while dining at Cafe Wayan, we were the first to book so got to choose the menu for the class for the day. There are 7 menu's to choose from. You can email them, their address is on their website and ask them to send you the menu's.

We left the class with a recipe booklet, an apron and a gift which was a set of 2 placements.

Here is the website

http://www.alamindahbali.com/cafe_wayan.htm

Wellington
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

Paon Bali was 300,000 including pick-up if you are in Ubud, and you get a copy of the recipes. The food at Kafe Wayan is standout so theirs might be a good option too.

Penang Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

Thank you.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
28 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best cooking class in Ubud?

thanks gabbyo and radames! your feedback have been helpful.

actually i was planning to take the casa luna class since i earlier inquired the accommodation at honeymoon guest houses. but in the last month there had been some pretty negative reviews of the hotel so i changed my mind and got Alam Shanti instead! so maybe i will try Wayan rather than Casa Luna for convenience sake (and no more discount at CL :p)