We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good local food to a fair price?

southern Germany
Level Contributor
999 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Good local food to a fair price?

Hallo to all.

as we are coming from Europe with France and Italy beeing so close, we do not need "european style food" but would like to

taste the local food. What is it like? Which restaurants can

you advice? I am a Vegetarian, but husband eats meat.

Non of us eats fish :(

Thanks for your input,

Q.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

You'll find restaurants in Ubud at every price level and there's lots of good local places: I eat local food here 99% of the time. Mostly locals don't eat in the 'tourist' restaurants though many of them have local food, or fusion styles available. Popular ones like this are Cafe Wayan which has a good buffet on Sunday nights (southern end of Monkey Forest Rd). A much cheaper local food buffet also on Sunday nights is at Roda (Above Threads of Life Gallery in Jalan Kajeng).

Others like this are Ibu Rai (northern end of Moneky Forest Road), Bunute (Jalan Dewi Sita)-- there's lots more listed on Trip Advisor.

(I'd avoid Bebek Bengil, very over-rated, often the duck is dry, slow service just not a great place)

My picks of genuinely local, cheap ones are the Masakan Padang (food from Padang.. popular all over Indonesia) cafes, particularly Puteri Minang, which is next to Ganesh Bookshop on the corner of Jalan Raya (the main road) and Jalan Jembawan. This style of food has bowls of food in the window, you pick what you want, the prices are written next to the till. There's always vegetarian selections (particularly tofu, tempeh, eggs) as well as chicken, beef and various vegetables. No pork, as these restaurants are also Halal. I've never had any trouble eating there, and it's very popular with locals.

Another small but good diner type place is Warung Ijo, also on Jalan Raya near Nomad restaurant (a good mixed Western/local menu, more expensive than the others I'm mentioning, but good). The

Newly opened and popular with locals as well as expats is Freak Cafe, at the Bintang Supermarket on Jalan Sanggingan. Buffet style, point at what you want. Great coffee too (Freak stands for Freshly Roasted Enak Arabika from Kintamani- in other words, it's local and high quality).

A bit further up that road is Pulau Kelapa, a large wooden building. More expensive but authentic Indonesian food. A lot of tourists from Java seem to eat there.

Be aware that if your not eating fish involves and actual allergy, that a lot of Indonesian foods includes small amounts of shrimp pastes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

Where are you staying?

There are many great local restaurants with great food. You will have no problem finding a good range of food choices.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
999 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

Hi and thanks to both of you for your input. Sorry, it took me some time to

answer, but I was on vacation here in Europe - Bali was a bit out of my mind as our trip will take part in January.

But now I am back on the forum.

Can you please explain a little bit, what I can expect to eat in Bali as a typical meal? Are there vegetarian dishes,too?

Thanks a lot.

Q.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

Hi,

If you plan to stay in the South, Ilab's foodie report here is quite good.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k4840…

I do feel the same about European food while in Bali, except for French maybe. Too hard to find here in Dublin or at exorbitant cost.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

Quiltlover are you a total vegeterian? Do you eat fish?

Cafe Wayan does a great buffet on Sunday nights which you cater for both you and you husband (from memory there are around 20 dishes or more to chose from). Price is 150 000 from memory, which is more expensive than other places, but so much to try!

Nomad is good too.

The flavours you can expect are sate flavors (like a curry paste but with lots of tumeric and ginger in it) - delicious and you can get grilled fish or fish cakes. Tofu is plentiful as well.

Singapore
Level Contributor
103 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

My family will stay in Tegal Sari for 4N followed by 2N at Nirwa Homestay. Which are the reasonably priced places that we can go for our meals? Walking distance preferred. Thanks.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 04:29
carnarvon western...
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

If you are in Legian try Ketupat in the main Street. There vegetarian dishes are to die for.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
999 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

Thanks for your input - I do not eat fish - lot´s of people say thats a pitty when on vacation so close to the ocean.. But´s that´s how it is.

I am very fine with tofu - so that seems to be an often used item.

Greetings,

Q.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

You might like this place , a bit out of the way though

http://www.theorganicfarmbali.com/index.html

10. Re: Good local food to a fair price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 23:16