We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local veggies?

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Local veggies?

What kind of local veggies are growing in Ubud or generally in Bali??

Looking forward to hear from you.

Q.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local veggies?

Lots of green veg including water spinach from around the rice fields. Excellent sweet potato and tasty 'normal' potatoes. Lots of green beans, pumpkin, cabbage. Great onions, etc You can get lots of imported veges too. It's a foodie place..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local veggies?

I too remember very good spinach and snake beans...

Also quite a few veges known in Asia (choy sum, sprouts etc), but i don't know if they're local.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local veggies?

Also tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, carrots & beetroot. I am yet to find brussels sprouts.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local veggies?

Thanks a lot.

Glad about local stuff.

Q.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local veggies?

also Jicama - delicious - and lettuce and corn

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Local veggies?

The vegies you get are rarely of good quality. They are not stored correctly, affected by heat and are often very old by the time they hit your plate.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local veggies?

I didn't find that at all.

I also went to the wet market in the morning and bought some cucumbers which were beautiful and lasted for ages, as my daughter and I like to eat them like apples (weird I know, but hey - we like our veggies).

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local veggies?

Chickchili, once again your input is absolute rubbish. I must however praise you for being consistent.

The guy who supplies me with asparagus, cherry tomatoes and lettuce will SMS me that he is harvesting that day and will deliver to me in the afternoon.

Twice a week some folk from Bedugul load up their utility with fresh produce and are at my front door by 8AM.

I find it hard to believe you would get better than that in the Kimberley

For that matter the guy who bakes pies and sausage rolls will SMS me in the morning with a simple "baking today" message. I order and they are delivered that evening..

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Local veggies?

Thanks for your input cempaka. I am glad that you have such a fantastic vegie dealer, my experience is of what I eat from where I eat and where they tell me they get the vegetables from. I was not referring to your upmarket Sanur based western extravaganza. The places I'm posting about would not be serving cherry tomatoes and asparagus. I thought the OP asked about what was grown 'generally' in Bali. My mistake obviously.

And, no we definitely do not get better than that in the Kimberley. In fact, by the time we get them out where we are, they would be in a worse state than what I have eaten in Bali.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local veggies?

I"d be changing where I eat then, chickchilli.

The local places we eat buy fresh from the markets every morning and I was thoroughly impressed with the freshness and quality of the produce at the Sanur Local fresh food markets.

Places like Hardy's however, I would never buy my fruit and vegies from as they are such poor quality they are total waste of money.

But if you buy from the locals and not the chain supermarkets the food is incredibly fresh.

Get answers to your questions about Ubud