We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubud artists rainy season?

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Ubud artists rainy season?

We can add two weeks to our Thailand trip to stop in Bali and visit Ubud the last week in February and first week in March, in the rainy season. We definitely want to go but I wonder if we will be limiting our ability to view artists at work and ceremonies if there is a lot of rain. Are there roofs with open sides that allow life to go on as usual in rainy season? Will it be very buggy?

I have heard raves about the hill towns, including Tenganan, Candidasa, Nagaraja, and Ubud areas and I definitely want to go BUT would I be better off going at a different time of year instead of Feb. March? I may be able to go in October/November 2012 instead and if that would be really superior, I will save my frequent flier miles for Bali/Ubud at that time instead since I do not have unlimited resources. If there is no significant problem, and the rain will not make the insects terrible, I'd always rather go while I can because we never know what life will bring.

Please advise as to how the weather will affect our ability to experience Ubud and other towns. Thanks.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

I would not let rainy season put you off going to Bali. Usually it does not rain for long and you should still see plenty of clear days. As far as bugs go, just bring a strong mosquito repellent and make sure you keep it on day and night.

Sorry, I have not heard of a village called Nagaraja, perhaps someone else can help there.

As you have also mentioned Candidasa and Tenganan, I would spend 3 days in Candidasa instead of all in Ubud. From Candidasa you can go to the Aga village of Tenganan (7 km west). Go early morning before the tourist buses arrive. It is the place to buy the famous woven ikat cloth.

You can also go to see Tirta Gangga, Ujung Seraya, Budakeling (silversmith/goldsmith) village, Sidemen for scenery.

Life goes on as usual in Bali regardless of the weather.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

Thanks for your suggestions. Since you recommend mosquito repellent day and night, I assume that the insects are a problem. How is the temperature and humidity- will we want AC for an allergy person or can we only get fans? The AC and closed windows will protect against the bugs at night at least.

Good to know that life goes on and that the artists will still be viewable. Should we hire a private car and driver to take us on day trips?

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

It is hard to predict what the weather will be like in Jan/Feb but usually it is between 26 - 32 degree C and about 70% humidity. It is a bit cooler in Ubud than other parts of Bali and Candidasa is not as wet as Ubud.

Nearly every accommodation place will have aircon, just check before you book.

Yes, hire a car and driver for your day trips. You can look at the recommended driver's list on this forum and make enquiries once you know your definate plans.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,400 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

First, Candidasa and Tenganan are not hill towns. Candidasa is a beach town and Tenganan is an extremely touristy village where tour busses go and you are asked to pay to get in. But yes, they do weave the double ikat cloth called "geringsing." There are many places to see ikat weaving and many tours or drivers will take you to weaving centers. I have also never heard of Nagaraja but it could be a specific Banjar (community) within a large town. There are thousands of Banjars each with their own name.

Bali has modern conveniences, especially on the tourist trail. and most places do have air conditioning but ask before hand to make sure your room will have it. Bugs are not especially a problem, more than other places in South East Asia or any tropical country. That said, you might want to pick up some mosquito spray or lotion when you get here and use it. It's very inexpensive and pretty fair quality...and available everywhere.

Weather, there is another thread here which is asking a similar question. That said, October/November is at the beginning of the rainy season so not necesssarily a better time to come. The best time is during the "cool dry season" in July/August/September, but that is also the high season.

Ceremonies and dance performances go on despite any weather problems. You will often see Balinese performing offerings and doing ceremonial duties etc in pouring rain...that's just the way it is. And in the Wantilans or pavillions where dance performances are held for tourists , they are usually large roofs. you might also be here during a regular ceremony and like any other event will have to see whether it is raining there or not. It could easily be pouring rain in one spot and ten meters away not raining at all. Not sure why you are specifically asking about open sides...do you mean patios?

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

Thanks for the replies. I will bring insect repellent and buy more there, carry my umbrella, and love being there. SINGARAJA in the north is the corrected name from my friend...sorry to mislead.

We noted some gazebo type structures in Cambodia and Vietnam which were covered patios with open sides so they could be used in all weather and the roof protected from sun and rain.

We will make it a point to go to some of the more touristy places either later in the day or early AM to avoid the tour buses and will hire a private driver to try to get off the beaten track- our preference as experienced travelers. We are not on a tight schedule trying to see many things in the same day without stopping to learn and appreciate so a 6-8 week trip is a lot different than a 10 day whirlwind.

Any more advice greatly appreciated.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

The rainy season is already starting, if the drenchings we've had in Ubud the last few days are any indication. The artists I know are currently very involved in preparing elaborate ceremonies at the moment, which will happen on the auspicious days no matter what the weather! Meanwhile over the mountains it is probably still dry as toast. Artists who live in this climate will have long ago found ways of working in the rain.. or sun... or mist.. so if meeting, observing or learning from them is what you want to do, come on over any time!

Cheers and hope you have a great trip

7. Re: Ubud artists rainy season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ubud