We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

Hi ,

I'm looking for accommodation in September for my 13 YO daughter and myself. Preferably an easy and safe walk (or shuttle bus) to restaurants and shops and less than $100 night.

I've been reading a lot of hotel reviews and lots of them appear suss. Many of them seem to be single contributions with names like Mary B or Joe W and all give 5 stars

The worst are some reviews for Junjungan Ubud Hotel and Spa with FrederickBa of Kyoto, MalcolmWa of Tokyo and EllenaKi of Portugal giving 5 star ratings and identical glowing reviews 3 days apart. Frankly I don't trust any reviews by anyone who has only one contribution - pity you can't screen them out.

So...I need help (from real unbiased people!) I've tried Tegal Sari, but they are full, Alam Shanti etc are another option but I'm a bit nervous about walking through the Monkey Forest in the evenings. Is it easy to get to and fro either by shuttle bus or taxi?

Are there any other family oriented hotel recommendations?

Cheers :)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

had a friend talk to me about this issue the other day.

problems with reviews:

1 people with vested interests eg timeshare, ownership

2 people putting a rival business down

3 people have different expectations

sorry cant help with the hotels you mentioned as haven't stayed there.

i have stayed and liked the kajeng bugalows. it is a small place with pool not far from the ubud markets. i stayed there in 2009. it was cheap but nice with a variety of backbackers/travellers staying there. this might be an added experience for your daughter. my daughters were 13 and 16 when we were there. they enjoyed the social side around the pool.

here is the info on the place below

kajeng bungalows

air con 250 000

fan 160 000

10% discount after two days

Blog 2009

…blogspot.com/2009/07/bali-ubud-kajeng-bunga…

you tube 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0j0Vv3mGks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

If you like tegal sari then try greenfields next door.

Sri bungalows, Honeymoon guesthouse, Ubud bungalows, cendana resort & spa are some other options.

Unfortunately there are always going to be some very questionable reviews for accommodation, you just need to see through them and keep an open mind. Looking at traveler photos and the location on a map is also worthwhile.

Apart from people trying to promote a property others make complaints about all sorts of things that they would have realized before they booked had they done proper research

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

Yes, it was frustrating trying to work through all those suspect reviews to find the ones that offered some valuable information.

Oh...I'd seen Honeymoon Guesthouse recommended before, but thought (because of the name) it was aimed at couples. Quite a lot of the hotels I've looked at seem to be more adult rather than family orientated. I'll have check out the hotels that you've mentioned.

Thanks

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,231 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

We stayed last month at Sama Cottages which is in Jalan Bisma, the same road as Honeymoon Guesthouse. It was lovely and very close to the main street yet surprisingly quiet. The rooms have a queen bed but they can put a single in as well if you like- it's a bit of a squeeze but not too bad and certainly you can't complain for $50/night with breakfast as well. I would recommend it to family and friends and stay there again without a qualm. There's a cheap and efficient laundry two doors down If you want washing done.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

I've stayed at Alam Jiwa twice and LOVE it. They have a free transport service into Udub town when you need so I would assume Alam Shanti does as well, check with them. That takes care of the Monkey Forest issue.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,980 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

We've stayed at Alam Shanti twice and have really enjoyed our stay and like Jiwa, there's a shuttle service available. We never waited more than ten minutes to get a ride into town and then rang to go back, or grabbed a driver in town..

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

Udub town? Please believe me, I'm not a dubstep fan, lol!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,177 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

Dubstep eh? Wub wub wubbb.

Poor FrederickBa and MalcolmWa.

Honeymoon Guesthouses isn't only aimed at couples despite the name. I agree that Greenfield is a good option if you can't get into Tegal Sari - it's literally next door to the TS, so you get the same views. Rooms are similar standard, and it has a slightly larger pool. Well worth the money.

I personally also like Cendana Resort and Spa; centrally located on Monkey Forest Road behind Lamak Restaurant. It has two really good size pools. The Deluxe Rooms are the ones to go for, but the other rooms classes aren't bad. Despite the excellent central location, it also has rice field views.

As far as reviews go, yes there are some dubious ones. Look at reviewers contribution history to see if they've travelled elsewhere and reviewed other places, rather than being one-post-wonders. Also look at reviews as a whole to see if there are any patterns which may give cause for concern. Sometimes though, especially in the smaller properties, you just have to take the plunge and hope for the best. Most booking sites also have reviews, such as Asiarooms or Agoda, so again worth checking these out. TA isn't the only fish in the pond.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

I second Honeymoon Guesthouse as a good hotel for you and your daughter. Guests are a mix of age groups, lovely garden setting and its walking distance to the main area of Ubud. The staff are helpful and friendly. I stayed there about 12 months ago and thought it was good value ( around $75 AUS from memory ). If you will be there in school holidays I would book something soon!

Cheers

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dodgy hotel reviews making it hard to find a hotel

Here's another vote for the Honeymoon Guesthouse. We have booked to stay there again in July for a few nights as it is well positioned in Ubud and has everything you could need. I found booking with them very easy and efficient.