We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

I made a reservation in the yamuna after reading all the rave reviews. It will be our first trip to bali and we will split between sanur and ubud. I am however little worried now. No matter how nice the property is my wife will freak out if she saw a big rat or something similar crawling in the room, going through stuff, etc. lizard here or there is fine but not rats. Recent reviews indicate some issues about this. Is this more common in their less expensive rooms? Are we better off in some other place? I know we are out in the nature but still i need to avoid certain creatures if possible. I want to experience traditional Balinese hospitality in ubud and don't mind spending up to $250.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

We have stayed twice at Alam Shanti and have booked for a third stay at their neighbouring property, Jiwa. I've never seen a rat, but rats are not uncommon in Bali, nor anywhere in the world that I am aware of...even the best places, do have the occasional rat.

Yes, there are lizards and they are completely inoffensive and will not bother any one.

Will you see less of any creatures at another establisment in Ubud? No! Many Balinese resorts are built to embrace nature and that is what happens...you will get to see some of the nicest creatures there are, including butterflies and fireflies...oh, I do love fireflies.

Go and enjoy lovely Alam Shanti....we do.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

I am often bothered by rats.

They are fruit rats and come in from the surrounding trees.

There is not a lot that can be done about it as they have legs and can run quickly if the need arises.

Also they often decide to make their move when I am sleeping or have gone out for the day.

Sometimes they invite some friends along and that can be particularly irritating.

Many have encountered unfortunate ends when they have irritated me sufficiently with their plans to become a co-inhabitant with mrs hurcules and myself.

I am sure the people at Alam Shanti are equally persuasive and discouraging as I am, however sometimes an uninvited guest just turns up.

I am unfamiliar with Alam Shanti but they are probably not having visits from the sort of rats I am used to in Jakarta, the rats there are different rats altogether, and far more streetwise.

The thing is with locations such as Alam Shanti is that when there are gardens, trees, grass, and lush vegetation there will also be some small animals around, and they are by nature mobile creatures.

Without a doubt the staff there will shoo them away with vigour so they do not move in and try to share the facilities with you.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 17:41
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

Just be glad they do not have any tigers wandering in.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
713 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

I've stayed in the Yamuna room and loved it. Didn't see any rats. Or other pests for that matter.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

I've not seen any rats at Alam Shanti and if you did a quick call to staff and they would be dealt with promptly I am sure. It is a lovely property and very good value for money for the standard that you get.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

No one can guarantee you won't see a rat in a 1* or 5* property so thinking of moving won't help. In the high season, the cashed up rats like to holiday in the more opulent places, while the crawlies prefer a more modest , budget resort.

They are generally very well behaved and the ratettes have been taught to be seen but not heard. Their table manners are exemplary, and they try not to scream too loudly when they see a human.

They do like to have their photo taken with blondes, so wear a wig if you do not want this and are blonde. Otherwise they like to be left alone just as we do.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

When I was at alam jiwa I thought I seen the tail end of a huge rat and was very freaked out but on closer inspection it was a massive gecko which was amazing! He just stayed hidden in the bathroom. I just kept the outside door and bathroom door closed at most times and never had any unwanted guests in my actual sleeping room. I think you will be fine :)

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,326 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

I think you should prepare your wife that there is every chance she will see some sort of wildlife associated with tropical rainforest. Bugs and ants there are plenty of no matter where you stay. Most houses, hotels and rooms have little geckos in them. They are cute little fellows that help keep the mosquito population down. They are harmless, very timid and considered to bring good luck.

I have seen the occasional rat but never in my room, always outdoors. I agree with Herc's comment, compared to the Jakarta rats Bali rats are like small field mice. You need to be in full armour to take on a Jakarta rat.

No matter what area you are in or what price you pay for a room, there is a possibility you will encounter some sort of critter.

Try to accept it all as part of holidaying on a tropical paradise island.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

She may well see a squirrel, there are plenty around that area (we regularly stay at a hotel nearby), so if your wife thinks she sees a rat, ask her to look again, if it has a bushy tail, its a squirrel - and they are very cute as they jump from tree to tree.

As for the geckos - great to have a few around as they eat mozzies and flies - rather like a mobile can of mortein!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alam shanti - rats, bugs, ants?

I have never seen a rat in any of the budget hotels I usually stay at. I splurged last year and stayed in a gorgeous but expensive room at Greenfield. And my sleep was broken (well stopped) by a HUGE rat. I note that this rat must have been smaller than his relatives in Jakarta but he seemed pretty big to me. He was fast, very noisy and went to the toilet a lot. He made a nest in the cushions on the lounge thing. Every time I gingerly moved the cushions in order to move him on he used his speed to outwit me. I didn’t make a fuss – trying to be Buddha like - but I did mention it to the staff who smiled and said they have rats because of the rice fields (just out the front of my room). I was mainly put off because I constantly imagined him crawling over me and nibbling body parts when I was asleep. So anyway, I guess my point is… expensive hotels don’t guarantee you won’t have extra guests in your room at times. But as everyone says the staff are pretty diligent about getting them moved on, as they are with everything that concerns a guest.