We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are off to Ubud again next week. We'll be staying there for 2 months, then we're heading off elsewhere in Southeast Asia. But we're looking for advice as to where to go.

We want somewhere similar to Ubud. I know that there really is only 'one Ubud', but are there any places that compare? We're not fussed about shopping or beaches. What we like mostly about Ubud is the relaxing, safe, spiritual vibe, and of course the low prices. I see that some people have suggested either Chiang Mai or Siem Reap, but what are everyone's thoughts? Where else has the same vibe as Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Thanks! :)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,249 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Good question!

I would say places that combine cultural sights with a traditional style would indeed be Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Vientienne, even Luang Prabang.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

I would also second Chiang Mai, Definitely not the same as Ubud, but a great cultural experience non the less. There are many wonderful Wats in the area to explore, spend a day talking with the monks at Wat Chedi Luang - an 800 year old, 60 metre tall Wat in the centre of town. Stroll through the shops in the old city and the Sunday night walking market is wonderful - also in the old city.

Andy

Tasmania
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

I would also agree that Chiang Mai is an amazing place although a bit bigger than Ubud. We also travelled around the Mae Hong Son loop while in that area and found a place called Pai to be one of the best places I have ever visited overseas, albeit nearly 10 years ago now. It had many hot springs that were also part sof hotels and a very relaxed feel to it.

I would love to get back there one day.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! So I guess Chiang Mai seems like a unanimously liked place. Might have to check it out. :)

If anyone else has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Chiang Mai for me too. Not Ubud but lovely in a different way

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Like HbtTraveler, for me, Pai was a much richer experience than Chiang Mai. So why not stay in both as they are not too far from each other. I also agree with ubudpuppy about Luang Prabang in Laos and Siem Reap/Angkor Wat in Cambodia. But I would throw two other ideas into the mix... both are in Vietnam, the delightful Hoi An and the magnificent (if nothing like Ubud) Halong Bay.

Have fun deciding - and even more fun on the journey.

julieinbali

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Hi,

Yes, we liked Siem Reap, Chiang Mai and Pai also very much!!

In Siem Reap we stayed at La Maison d'Angkor, small charming property, and found some lovely restaurants like Madame Butterfly, The Touich, and loved the quad tour through small villages and visiting an orphanage, and of course visiting the temples with Mr. Kim San, our lovely guide (Angkor Guides)

In Chiang Mai and Pai we stayed at Belle Villa Resort (in both places), loved it! Pai is small but very charming, with lovely restaurants like Charlie & Lek. Chiang Mai is really a large city, but some parts still feel like a village.

Also liked our hotel I-U-Dia on the River in Ayutthaya, view on the temples from the pool and room is magnificent. But not so many nice places to eat out, but hotel is really a hidden gem! Only one hour from Bangkok airport, so maybe also worth a visit?

Have a great time!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Munduk in Bali or Pai and Chiang Mai in Thailand

Casuarina
Level Contributor
345 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Another vote for Hoi An.

It has that magical quaint fishing village charm despite the ever increasing tourist numbers. Amazing food, fascinating scenes of everyday river life and charming people.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places like Ubud in Southeast Asia?

Definitely Pai - exploring places within the Hong Son Loop was wonderful. We did lots of easy trekking - which is one of the things we love about Ubud.

Get answers to your questions about Ubud