We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat in Ubud ???

Valla Beach
Level Contributor
381 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
where to eat in Ubud ???

Hi all,

Just wanting to know of a really great restaurant to eat at in Ubud.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 22:49
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

Bridges gets great reviews

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

Ubud has lots of great restaurants...in the past few years it's really developed with a great range of places to eat....from inexpensive local foods to high end gourmet...what kind of food are you looking for? Where are you staying? There are so many good choices that sometimes its just better to eat where it's more convenient rather than going past other great restos to go somwhere that is about the same....

So please tell us what kind of food you are looking for? What floats your boat?

Valla Beach
Level Contributor
381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

Hi ubudpuppy,

We are staying in Sanur but are going to do a day trip there, we love seafood , steaks, Balinese food.

Thanks very much for your help.

ubud
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

there are so many great restaurants in ubud it is unbelievable.

it is one of the most dynamic destinations for food in the world. I hope ubudpuppy doesnt censure me here. of course, large cities like bKK, HK, manila, jakarta, and what have you will offer more variety and more quality but it will likely be more expensive on the whole and you will have to travel farther to get it it.

in ubud, we have everything in a couple square kilometers practically (tho good korean and chinese are conspicuouly absent for some mystifying reason!!!)....

lets make a list of fabulous foods:

1. Taco Casa - crazy good mexican that rivals anything you can imagine

2. there are at least six italian restaurants in ubud and most are opened by an italian person! a.) pizza bagus (cold draft bintang rocks) b.) mamma mia pizza and pasta homemade and cheap, also cold beer (tony the owner so nice) c.) black beach (its good) and the newest d.) il giordano (atmosphere is so nice love it) e.) dolce arancia (also quite good and new)

3. Melting Wok - best coconut curry chicken rice ....EVER

4. Queens Indian - chicken tikka is so succulent its crazy

5 Batan Waru, Siam Sally, Cinta and Terrazo all very nice places (and sister restaurants)

6. Havana ...for me the tapas and drinks (the el presidente) are incredible

7. Kafe ..of course, Kafe is wonderful..I like the pesto pasta with the arugula and one of the nice drinks they make

8. Clear Cafe - is very very unique and delicious. i love going here.

9. Naughty Nuri's is a no -brainer and yes the ribs are good, but what is better are 1. the pork loin sandwich with cheese and onions, a green salad and a martini :)

10. Try the Alila, the Maya, Four Seasons, Swept aWay at Semaya in Sayan, or one of the many restaurants at five star hotels (there are so many!)

honorable mention: casa luna, cafe lotus, the nomad, cafe wayan and three monkeys :) (you wont regret them)

local foods that need mentioning: mangga madu near the maya, ibu oka (go to the mas branch), ayam kedewatan (super), warun tegus (in mas).

I could go on and on and ....on... and ....on. if you want more PM me or ask for it here and ill give you another list

Cheers!

Wellington
Level Contributor
519 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

I'd opt for Indus for both western and balinese style dishes, lovely calm surroundings and the most glorious view out of the bustle and hustle of Central Ubud. Not pricey, and lots of tables, but book or get there a bit earlier if you want a terrace table - obviously the views are best in the daytime or early evening. . Batan Waru is a favourite of mine if you want to be right in the middle of things, particularly at night with a visit to Havana on the way home.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

Well, on a day trip are you planning to have both lunch and dinner in Ubud? Steaks and seafood are not really Ubud specialities but I do like the Beef Kebab at Nomad, as well as their famous Balinese tapas platter...fabulous to share. They also have a great Tuna Steak.

Many people like the steaks at Cafe des Artistes but it's more European so don't know if you want to come to Ubud to have European style..

3 Monkeys is nice which also has a branch in Sanur..

If you are in Ubud on a Sunday nite the Balinese Buffet at Cafe Wayan is great...especially if you are big eaters and want to sample many different items.

Many people also want to sample the famous babi guling (suckling pig) and there are many roadside stalls that serve it while you are out and about in the countryside. In downtown Ubud Ibu Oka is the most famous and they serve a lot of tourists..

I'm sure you will enjoy wherever you end up.. have fun!

Valla Beach
Level Contributor
381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

Thanks jonvillaamrita, ubudpuppy,radames,ol55traveller,

For all your help to find a great restaurant to eat at have written them all down & it maybe a good idea to have lunch & dinner there , will put it to a vote.

Cheers Downunder

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

So I've only ever been Ubud once & that was for a day trip in 1998. We spent 3 nights there in May (so excited!!!!) & this is what I've come up with based on reviews & searching other topics like this...

Lunches - Cafe des Artisties, Ibu Oka for bubi guling, & Cafe Pommegranite (I have noted " looks amazballs!)

Dinners - Laka Leke for crispy duck & a dance performance, Cafe Havana ('looks fun" in my notes) & Three Monkeys because we LOVED to one in Sanur last trip.

Hope that helps. Also feel free to critic my selection if you feel like there's something I've missed or should give a miss : )

Thanks, Mono

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,662 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

I really don't think I could single out one particular place to visit; so many good choices. I'm also a Three Monkeys fan, it's not particularly cheap but worth a visit. Cafe Wayan and Cafe Des Artistes are also firm favourites. I quite like Bollero and also Cafe Havana on Jl Dewi Sita. Cafe Tutmak isn't a bad option for lunch, and Berbekyu do a decent thin crust pizza if this is on your wish-list.

Completely agree about Taco Casa for the casual mexican food if you're down the bottom end of Jl Hanoman/Jl Raya Pengoseken.

So many restaurants, so little time.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,804 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to eat in Ubud ???

So many good places but remember the OP is on a day trip only to Ubud...he needs to narrow focus...and his focus....but on the other hand while he's here he might get a sudden craving for Italian, who knows?

The three iconic dishes for Ubud are babi guling (suckling pig with crackling skin and innards in a spicy sauce) rispy duck. ( Duck super deep fried to a crisp) and Bebek Betutu. That said, the best choices for that are probably Ibu Oka for babi guling (very famous) and Tepi Sawah for Crispy Duck. If you want Bebek Betutu ( 24 hour smoked and spiced duck) many restaurants carry it but you have to order it at least 24 hours in advance...so you can pick and choose which restaurant you want to order it from...