We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Accomodation:

Stayed at Tegal Sari but would probably go back to Alam Shanti the next time for the privacy. Tegal Sari was really great for the rate we paid but it's more of a personal preference. Tegal Sari's service team was really friendly and great! We found a better bike rental rate from the shop outside the hotel. Tegal Sari offers free pick up and drop off service to ubud center also.

Food:

Had good food at Delicious Onion, Pulau Kelapa, Naughty Nuri's, Nasi Padang Puteri Minang, Ibu Mangku, bakso from the random motorbikes, nasi campur stalls and murtabak stalls all over ubud. The one that really stands out was Warung Sak Ade in Gianyar. They have 1 stall inside Gianyar's night street market (Pasar Senggol) and 1 stall across the road from the night market. The nasi campur was worth the long bike ride over to Gianyar just for dinner. You can choose pork/chicken/duck/everything for your nasi campur. Really awesome stuff! Enjoyed the gelatos from Gaya too! Much better than the one in Monkey Forest road IMHO.

Shopping:

My target this year were paintings and wooden sculpture. Visited the new art market in Ubud center and found it lacking. Nothing stood out so left without buying anything. Went over to the shops at Lodtunduh and just after Nyuhkuning. I bought many pieces of painting and few wooden sculptures. The variety and prices outside of Ubud center was better. Got a few paintings from the shop opposite of Jaen's Spa too.

Cocktails:

Enjoyed my margaritas from Taco Casa and martinis from Naughty Nuri's.

Negatives:

I saw a lot of beggars (esp little children) everywhere. It's sad to see this, I hope Ubud will not changefor those of us who love it just the way it is.

Had a really satisfying trip and we will be back soon!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Great to hear that you enjoyed your holiday & I also hope that Ubud doesn't change too much in the future

Cheers Mac

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Like your choice of eating places! Am off to try Warung Sak Ade - sounds delish.

Perth Hills...
Level Contributor
202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Thank you for sharing!!! We are off to Ubud next May first time staying in many years!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Thanks, for your great post.

RE: Food...I was wanting tips on casual family run places to eat....think I got that now.

How about something a tiny bit more upscale where you can spend the eve and have a glass of wine? I'm not looking for one of the big well known kinda places.

Many Thanks.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Thanks for the report SeeSee - Taco Casa -mmmmm!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Thanks guys.

impackedgirly: Sorry, I can't recommend any as I've never ordered wine or ate anywhere other than warungs. 1 glass of wine is usually not enough for me so I normally check in a few bottles to drink in my room after dinner. Hope someone can give you a recommendation. Enjoy your trip in Bali.

Hopetoun, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Agree with SeeSee79 about the beggers.

These are gangs apparently and come from Java. I was told that they are not Balinese and that they are "rounded" up occasionally and sent back to Java. They return quickly. The best thing to do is not to give them money. On a recent trip to Ubud, I saw a guy give one of them about $10. She quickly spoke to other beggers close by and he was swarmed.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Too funny! So, why could I not take a bottle to wine with me to a warung?

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

SeeSee - thanks for the recommendation of Warung Sak Ade, we had lunch there today and it was a really varied Nasi Campur, great taste. Also picked up a whole spicy chicken for Kuningan tomorrow as many of our local warungs will be closed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Oct 23rd-26th

Thanks for sharing - love Delicious Onion, one of our favourites