We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel in a City Center

Quanti
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel in a City Center

I would like to find a hotel that is within walking distance of shops, restaurants, clubs, and preferably a beach. I've looked at Ubud but it seems to be a very quiet area; I'd like to access a nightlife. I looked at Kuta but it seems to be more of a teenage spring break atmosphere. I would just like to be in the middle of a great pedestrian area and make trips out to go sightseeing. I'm thinking of a south beach, soho kind of vibe. I already made reservations to mozaic but wasn't sure if I'd rather travel from legian/seminyak or stay in Ubud. Any suggestions would be great!!

Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

From your description, Kuta is the best choice, especially on shopping. Only Kuta have large malls and 2 are within wslking disatnce and Kuta have more international cafes like Gloria Jeans, Coffee Bean, Starbucks and Black Canyon, all 9 within walking distance too. Ubud is laid back, many restaurants but no large shopping malls or international cafe chains, just one starbucks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

I would look at Seminyak for your stay, plenty of great restaurants, more botiquey (is that a word??) shopping, markets, and bars... Kuta is a short cheap taxi ride away for night clubbing and mall type shopping

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,205 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

I agree, Seminyak sounds like the best location for you to stay.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,737 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

Hi Dani and welcome to the Bali forum. I agree with Lee and Sue, Seminyak meets your criteria perfectly for the vibe you're looking for. Depending how many days in Bali you have, you could spend a couple of nights in Ubud so you don't have a long trek to Mozaic for your dinner. While Ubud doesn't have a lively nightlife, there is life to be found in XL Shisha Lounge or CP Lounge, and it makes for a great change of pace and scenery.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

Hi,

telling us how long you plan to stay in Bali could help, also a budget per night.

I agree a couple of nights in Ubud coupled with Seminyak would be ideal. Mozaic is a nice experience, and a short ride back to your hotel or to a local bar could be an great way to end the evening.

Jazz Cafe is good, Moko's @ Warung Minas has a nice offerings of music, CP lounge has a good cover band and customers can choose a song and sing, I had a great night there.

Ubud is quiet in the sense most bars stop music around 11PM with a few places like still opened until much later. I left CP lounge a roughly 4AM... but the place was not too busy.

I'm a huge fan of the Komaneka brand of hotels and I would recommend either their Monkey Forest or Rasa Sayang hotels. They are across the street from one another (almost) on Jl Monkey Forest.

Quanti
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

Thank you! Staying in Seminyak and Ubud sounds like the perfect solution. I was looking at staying at the Komaneka at Monkey Forest. I feel better now that someone's recommended it. Any suggestions for a hotel in Seminyak also?

I'll be in Bali from Nov 28th to Dec 3rd and want to stay around 200/night for the hotel. Any suggestions for more restaurants with amazing chefs would be appreciated also!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

We stayed at Royal Beach Seminyak and loved it. Right on the beach, great location to bars and restaurants. My favourite restaurant in Seminyak is Mama San .... Cool music, fab decor and amazing food (;

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

I agree with suggestions of staying in Seminyak.

we have stayed at Komaneka Monkey Forest in Ubud , we loved the property & plan to return again one day.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
36 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

I agree, your preference suit you in Seminyak.

Go visit metis and ultimo. These two restaurant always full, better to make a reservation.

Metis is a French fine dining, they have a nice soufflé, a bit expensice.

Ultimo is a Italian restaurant, they have a great pasta, price can be high than other Italian rest.

The other spot you must visit while you here is Potato head. Its a beach club, they have selection of great cocktails. They also do modern French cuisine.

I heard Mamasan is also awesome, but havent try it yet. Its a thai cuisine. I heard their chef currently being a judge chef in one of Indonesian cooking show.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 17:25
Quanti
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel in a City Center

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! You guys were right on the money. I traveled to Kuta from Seminyak and was immediately thankful for your advice :) I won a free hotel stay so I HAVE to go back now. There's still more restaurants and sights to try.