We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Sitting in terracotta restaurant you can see a lovely looking lane on the side of the rice fields. Opposite side of their accom, so on the right hand side if you are looking out to rice fields. We asked once and I think they said it went to penestanan. I am wondering if anyone knows how long it is and where exactly in penestanan does it end up? Thanks

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Hi Susie - we've walked that path many times over the years, it used to be challenging in the wet season but now it is mainly concreted with only short sections where you have to mud hop along the padi walls. It is still a wonderful walk of about two kilometres to Penestanan Kaja bale Banjar or Cafe Vespa both of which are on the crossroads, with Sayan to the west. Once in Penestanan you can visit some of the art or bead galleries that dot the village streets. I can highly recommend the walk, it is delightful and there are great photo opportunities.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Thanks Jan. Is it flat all the way?

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Yes, with the proviso that there is an almost vertical drop down from one level to another of about 2 metres (or less) where the subak level changes, but there are steps carved into the soil (mud?).

Almost at the end of the walk when you come to a continuous row of houses on your lhs and padi on your rhs, there is a narrow concrete road to the left - take that and it will bring you out opposite one of the village temples, turn right and walk through the top part of Penestanan to the crossroads that I mentioned before and that's your 2kms.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

That's great info jan, thanks. One more question.....hope thsi is okay! We are staying at de munut...do we still the the Vespa exit?

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Do you want to walk all the way back to de Munut? I will give you directions anyway. It is a nice back route, you may know it depending on how much exploring you have done round Penestanan.

So assuming you have got to the crossroads, turn left which is away from Cafe Vespa. This will take you down to a bridge across the river, no car access on this path after the first 100 meters. Follow the path past Nirvana, walk uphill (not too far!), at the top Lala and Lili will be on your left and Ubud Heaven on your right. Walk straight on to another crosspath where an aquifer runs overhead, Campuhan steps are straight ahead, immigration superhighway sign on your left (also Yellow Flower cafe that way), but you turn right on a small single lane footpath for 400 meters until you come out on Jalan Raya Penestanan opposite Alchemy. You probably know where you are now? Turn left towards Ubud and De Munut is 400 meters down the road.

Have fun!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

Thanks jan. That sounds really clear. I"ll look forward to it. It looks so enticing looking out from the restaurant.

7. Re: Has anyone done the walk that you can see from terracotta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:18