We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cant decide which one to book

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Cant decide which one to book

Hi there,

We are going to Ubud for the first time at end of Sept for 9 days - we have 2 kids - 6 and 7.

We love the look of Komaneka bisma and Alam shanti - both get the best reviews. We can book the Narmada room (with extra bed) at Shanti - or - a family suite (with extra bed) at Bisma - both are avaliable to book - but we cant decide which one. Bisma is alot more expensive - is it worth it?

Has anyone been to both? which one would you choose?which one is closer to town?

Can you please help us decide - any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cant decide which one to book

It doesn't get much more Balinese than Alam Shanti, and Narmada is beautiful. If I were you I'd save my pennies and go to Alam Shanti, but then we're returning there in two weeks time and have never been to Bisma. I like my hotels to feel Balinese!

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cant decide which one to book

I have to agree with some of the other posters... moving to another hotel just adds to the excitement & makes your holiday feel much much longer than it actually is - its like a holiday within another holiday! We have 2 kids and stayed at 2 of the Alam properties while staying in Ubud & absolutely loved both (we also stayed in Sanur, Seminyak, Balian, Balangan, Bingin & Tuban - so lots of moving around). We pack light & don't really unpack when arriving at each new place.

Alam Jiwa was a 20 min walk to town via a pathway next to the monkey forest, did this walk with 2 kids in tow (7 & 10) no problem. Alam Shanti is even closer, I'd estimate it would be about a 12 min walk - please correct me someone if I'm wrong!

The shuttle service is fantastic dropping you where & when you'd like & then picking you back up when you phone them. It was also one of the best breakfasts of our 25 night trip - especially the banana pancakes with fresh grated coconut & palm sugar syrup...yum!

So if it was me, I'd spilt your stay between both hotels & have the best of both worlds!

Enjoy 😀

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Cant decide which one to book

Can I ask which one you prefered - Alam Jiwa or Alam Shanti? I guess Im looking for a place where kids can splash in the pool with other kids and it not feel like we are wrecking the ambience. But we do love our 5 star hotels - we also want it feel balinese - and yes Alam Shanti looks so Balinese. I will have to try and persuade hubby to split the time i think. We are going in the september school holidays so there should be kids around.

Thank you all for your replys .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cant decide which one to book

Hi Bisma is very upmarket and not a lot of kids usually-Alam Shanti is great, but a bit out of the way [they actaully both require some walking] I agree with Ubud Puppy-moving around is a great way for your holiday to feel so much longer, its easy and you'll get different perspectives. Oh when youre there try and get to Atman on Hannaman for amazing organic chocolate fondue for the kids, and dont forget the white water rafting, always a hit with my son [maybe an opportunity to let them have a Dad-Day and get yourself booked into a day spa-just saying...]

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Cant decide which one to book

Thanks that chocolate fondue sounds like fun - i love any fondue! Which one is closer and easier to get to town walking? which one has nice shops / cafes around it? White water rafting sounds too scary - Im abit of a Nana - always telling them to be careful - maybe when theyre 10. I have to experience Bisma - it looks amazing , and komaneka Monkey forest is closer but looks tired and old compared to Bisma - (i did utube and looked at them).

We want to go on a village bike ride- ive been told its all down hill and easy for kids.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cant decide which one to book

Hi there. This might confuse you further, but have you thought about a villa? You will get fantastic, personal service that is hard to beat. I can recommend 2 bedroom www.flipkey.com/ubud-villa-rentals/p388752/ Beji Sari - the kids would need to be a bit older though as the second bedroom is not on the same floor or they could organise rollout beds for the main room (it's huge). Alternatively, we really loved Villa Alamanda. Kids had a TV and DVD room. The only thing is that if your kids are still little, then this might not work because of pool/safety issues. Hardly any pools in Bali have protection and there are lots of gorges etc. I like Alam Shanti as well or Alan Jiwa. These are much more traditional Bali-style hotels - that are really lovely. Komaneka is beautiful but more of a 5 star, flash resort.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Cant decide which one to book

Yes we will do a villa when they can swim better - we also like the social aspect around the pool at hotel.

I will look at your suggestions though. Thankyou.

18. Re: Cant decide which one to book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16