We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Hi

Hi

I understand Ubud to be a town or a city? How big is this town/city? Which AREA should I be looking to stay for 4 nights (not hotel but area)???

I hear Monkey Forest Road is the main hub? Main hub for food and entertainment?

How much will it cost by taxi to get to places; do taxi's charge by the meter?

Regards, Raul

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Ubud is a charming village. The main shopping is concentrated around Monkey Forest Rd, but there are beautiful hotels just off this you don't necessarily have to stay in that Main Street. There are no clubs like the south but there are small restaurant bars that have music.

There are no taxis , you hire a driver off the street.

Have a look at Greenfields, Kajane Mua, The Ubud Village Resort , Komaneka Monkey Forest if you prefer to be close to the main drag.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

So when searching on hotel/villa websites approximately how far away from this road would you recommend? We want to eat out and truly explore the Balinese cuisine etc We also don't want to be paying loads on taxi/car hire!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

All of those places I mentioned are surrounded by good restaurants. The Kajane Mua and Komaneka are in the main steet but set back from the bustle. The others are a few minutes walk, no transport needed.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

There are several accommodation places on Jl Bisma - a road that runs off the main road (Raya) and parallel with Monkey Forest Road - with easy walking access to all the main shops and restaurants. Honeymoon Guesthouses, Samhita Gardens, Pertwi 2, Komeneka Bisma, Inata - and several homestays if you're on a smaller budget.

Nyuhkuning is a village on the far side of the Monkey Forest and offers easy access to the shops and restaurants - 10 mins or so walking time, and Pengosekan village is about a 20 minute walk. Pengosekan has lots of small villa properties. You will find lots of these offered on Flipkey and they are generally very reasonably priced.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

As you may have read, we stay at Samhita Garden on Jalan Bisma (check it out on Google Maps). This is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Ubud market which is the centre of Ubud. Personally I like Jalan Bisma as it is quieter than Monkey Forest road.

Ubud is relatively large - with reference to Google maps, it reaches from about the Hotel Tjampuhan in the west to jalan Raya Andong in the east, and north and south about the same distance. It would take a good half an hour to walk from edge to edge, maybe more. Having said that, the little local villages around are starting to get swallowed up and you'll still find houses and shops further out as well. I think its a pretty place and I like it but I wouldn't call it a small village.

Some places you stay in (like the Ibah which is just down the road (recommended, check it's reviews on TA, great for a honeymoon) have their own transport, a driver who, if you call from a local shop (if they have a phone, lots don't), will come and pick you up or drop you off for nothing within Ubud environs. You can also pay them a nominal amount to be taken further afield - we paid something like 40,000 I think to get taken to the Four Seasons (stunning hotel).

If you don't have that, it might be worth getting a regular driver - transport is more expensive than the taxis on the coast so you might be able to do a deal on someone you can just call up.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Hi

Ibah looks amazing! I'm in love with it! Not only is it fully booked on my dates but again beyond my budget of £100 - 110 per night! :-( It's quoting £125 but I probably would have compromised.

A note on this: Some hotels state 10% service and 10% tax not added to the price.... Hmmm, 20% would hike the price up then!?

Guess what - Samhita Garden is SOLD OUT too! Sold out on several different dates I've selected in July, Aug and Sep! Must be popular and reasonably priced?

Pertwi 2 - Rooms too modern. Want a unique touch to it...

Komeneka Bisma - Too expensive £191 per night PLUS 20% tax...

Inata - Too cheap. That's a FIRST! Lol

Four Seasons in Jimbaran? WAY TOO expensive, £455 per night plus taxes!

Note: most prices have been obtained from Agoda.com

Regards, Raul

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Btw Thanks! I now know which part of Ubud to stay in!

Just a matter of time before I find a reasonably priced villa/hotel. I'm tempted for Kajane Mua!!!! :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
590 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Tegal Sari is right beside Greenfields and both are really nice at good prices. Both have nice rice paddy views and heaps of restaurants within easy walking distance. Not sure of your dates though but with Tegal Sari you need to book in about six months in advance.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Bummer about the Ibah, it really is lovely. No not the cheapest but pretty good for what you get. And Samhita is sold out? Wow, it was so quiet last year, good to hear they are a bit busier this year (I mean for them, not you!). But if you only looked on Agoda, they only sell one or two rooms not the whole place. Contact the hotels direct, it's definitely worth a try.

The Four Seasons I was talking about was near Ubud - gorgeous but one glass of champagne cost near half our daily accommodation budget so I don't think we'll actually stay there any time soon!

Yes, that 20% extra is a bit of a pain - if price says ++ that also means + tax + tax. When negotiating with Samhita I just asked them to include the tax - note that if the hotel person is Balinese it's possible they will bargain, unlikely if they are Western. Never hurts to ask if the price is negotiable tho.

The last two weeks in Sept are Australian school holidays for most states so it will be busier then if you can keep away from those two weeks. And the Ubud Writer's festival is on 1-5 October as well.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which AREA/PART of Ubud should we stay in???

Thanks, my dates are mid Aug!

Yes, I have contacted a few hotels direct via email but still awaiting response. Is it best to call them instead? How would you pay?

Times like this you just WISH if someone would gift you 10k! Lol