We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in january

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in january

Hello,

My Husband and I are planning a trip to Ubud in Jan 2015. I've read that its rainy season at that time. Can I get some advice as to wether or not to visit at that time? Is it really bad? Does it rain all the time?

Any advice/ opinions/ suggestions is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in january

It dosn't rain all the time but if it does it is magical. Sitting there in shorts drinking a cold drink watching the deluge. Once it only rained in the middle of the night for our whole trip and I actually felt robbed. It's really a great experience and it won't stop you doing anything. Only 1 trip did it rain for 3 days straight and became a bit of a nuisance by the 3rd day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in january

Bluvs now you've got me back for my comment about the Bali heat when you step off the plane, hahaha. Bali rain certainly is magical, great for swimming in too. I couldn't imagine a better place than being in Ubud during the rainy season, beautiful, fresh and sooo green.

Yes there is usually alot of rain at this time, but might only be in the night. Sometimes when it pours it comes down really heavy for 15 mins, so if your out and about check out a cafe or bar and enjoy, then you can be on your way again. And yes sometimes it rains all day, don't worry you will be in beautiful Bali

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in january

Guys..I love visiting Bali but I must confess my last few visits over Chrismas and NYE have seen some serious rain..Which as we all know is expected during the rainy season..If you are travelling such a long way and expecting blue skies and sun shine I think you may be taking a risk..If your travel dates are for that period only I would be leaning towards Phuket in Thailand..

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in january

I'm travelling during Christmas/New Year this year staying Amed, Seminyak, Ubud & Legian. Not letting the rain deter us as as per above comments there is something beautiful about Bali rain :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in january

Agree Lacura there has been serious rain the last few xmases - continious rain for a few days.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
850 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in january

I was there Christmas just gone it rained 8 out of 11 and that was through the day as well.

We go to Bali quite a lot and that was the first time we have gone in the wet time .

Well lets just say with having to pay extra for everything that time of year,just my thought is very not worth it.

But if you don't have kids hit the bars and drink or cuddle up in bed with that someone special.

We just found it hard as my sister had 3 kids and I had 2

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in january

You're going during the wet season, and I guess Bali is all about walking, exploring and seeing sights, so you're gonna be out in it, and it can really come down when it starts.

It's certainly not cold, so I guess as long as you dont mind being soaked to the skin, then it's fine.

My suggestion, grab the umbrella from your hotel room, pack a lightweight raincoat and brave the downpour.

Rain keeps tourists in the hotel or in the bar, so when it's raining it would be a good time to shop and barter, as you'll get a better price with all the other tourists indoors.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in january

You have to remember that the others come fr a short 3 to 5 hour ride away, so rain is not a problem. But for you to come fr so far away to visit a tropical island where this year, rained for most days, throughout the day last November thru February then I hardly doubt if it will be worth it for you.

Either change the date of your visit or go somewhere else in Asia. Holidays are too important to waste your time waiting for rain to stop. In Ubud, it was raining all throughout the day, most days at this time. Heavy downpour at that. I don't know about you but why would I spend my vacation watching rain? You can do that where you are from.

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
739 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in january

Yes, Kiajas, I too am traveling over for my first Bali Christmas. Usually travel March or August. Started to get slightly paranoid reading all the negative rain reviews. I know it is the rainy season, but will not let too many negative reviews creep into my head. Always happy to be in Bali, albeit armed with my umbrella :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in january

Exactly @tudish.

Got to be happy that we are spending time in Bali AT ALL. And or me, we are going for 3 weeks and as my daughter is in high school, this is the only time we can do it without chopping into her school year.

The way I look at it is if the tourists are hiding in hotels & warungs & restaurants & bars, there are less shopping, and leaving me the opportunity to get 'morning price' at a good price just for a sale.... ;)

AND the locals just get on with their day in the rain, so why can't we.

The only thing I will be making sure of is that the mozzie repellant is applied ALOT whilst there just to be sure...

Personally, we can't wait to get back there, to relax and enjoy & rain won't stop us doing that :)

Get answers to your questions about Ubud
Recent Conversations