We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations required for Bali

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations required for Bali

Hi we are visiting the viceroy in Ubud in August and wondered what.vaccinations if any we should need and also will we need to take malaria tablets? Thank you for your advice Debbie

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
58 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Although some have said the advice we were given was over cautious, it was consistent over two GP surgeries and two travel clinics. We were told to ensure we had the following:

Hep A

Typhoid

Diptheria / Tetanus / Polio

Rabies

Hep B

Measles / MMR

Japanese Encephalitis

We were told malaria tablets were necessary for Lombok but not Bali. My girlfriend was given cholera pills but I wasn't, that was the only difference between the sets of advice we were given.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 20:42
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Thank you for your prompt reply, very helpful x

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Wow, a little bit of overkill!

None are necessary but some are recommended. Hep A & B, Tetanus and maybe Typhoid but not much else. Don't waste your money on expensive vaccinations, others will add more info.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 22:32
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Measles would have already been done when you were a child.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 22:35
gold coast
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

I am with Troy34 on this one. Hep A and B and Tetanus. There have been a few threads about this, might be good to have a peruse.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Vaccination against Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies is not really necessary as you seem to be staying in a very sanitised hotel and Typhoid only if you are staying somewhere pretty unclean (which the Viceroy is not. )

You should have a tetanus shot and protect yourself from mosquito bites with a good repellant.

Have a look at this

traveldoctor.com.au/Page/…indonesia

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Thanks Troy for your valuable info x

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Thanks for your confirmation of vaccinations required and support of Troy34 advice x

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

Thanks linda52 for your advice much appreciated x

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
58 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccinations required for Bali

I think rabies fits into the better safe than sorry category - the hassle (and expense) of getting the five shots and immunoglobulin in the rare instance of a dog or monkey bite can be largely avoided (only two further injections are required) through three inexpensive jabs before you leave. The horror stories are rare (you'll find some on these pages) but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Japanese encephalitis is probably overkill if you're not going into really rural areas. Measles you should have had as a child but not German measles if you were vaccinated pre MMR.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 15:00
Get answers to your questions about Ubud