We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

vancouver
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

Hi

If we stayed one or maybe two kilometres out from the centre of UBud is it possible walk into the centre and walk around the area easily? Do the roads have paths at the side or are wide enough to walk on?

thanks

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

Yes, yes and yes. The only problem with the footpaths in Ubud is the number of people using them - it gets pretty busy during the middle of the day with coach tour bus crowds and the ubiquitous drivers.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,663 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

Do however make sure you have a bottle of water on hand and wear a hat/sunscreen if walking in the daytime. The sun and heat can be quite unforgiving.

dorset
Level Contributor
553 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

The roads do have footpaths, but keep your eyes open as there are a lot of large holes in the pavements (problems with drain covers mainly) that you could fall into if you are not careful!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

The Ubud area is possibly the most wonderful areas in the world to visit on foot. Ubud downtown, the rice field walks, the artisan villages, the museums, the art galleries, the restaurants, the spas, the yoga studios, etc. keeps me coming back. Ubud, I have been "walking" the area since 1999. It is totally magical!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

Ubud region has many different neighborhoods...from small village roads and alleys to the downtown area which is full of motorbikes on the sidewalk, to pladces that have no shoulder at all where pedestrians can walk safely. So my advice is to just arrive, and see what the situation is where ever you are and where ever you want to get to.

My personal preference is never to go to the downtown area...my friends who visit me usually go on trips to see places not in downtown and eat at places located all over the area, sometimes by car and sometimes by walking.

Another point that I think you are making is that yes, it's sometimes very preferable to walk short distances than take a car so you can avoid traffic jams...being in them and causing them as well..

Traffic jams are caused by many different things in the twisted convoluted Ubud streets...Big Busses certainly, one way streets, not enough parking spaces, ritual processions to a temple, but one that many don't notice is the way many people take a taxi/car to a location, then stop the car to get out in the middle of the street, then haggle or discuss something else with the driver, taking a lot of time to get out and let the car go... This starts a huge line behind the car...this gets repeated hundreds of times a day...

6. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:05
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

"Is there any nice affordable hotels there with regular shuttles - so as to avoid the Steep Steps problem ?"

I stayed on Jalan Penestanan up behind the Blanco museum which is a quite steep hill with no footpath. This didn't bother me too much as I did find when walking you just go in single file staying close to the wall, and the traffic does afford you some space. ...in having said that though, my hotel (under $100 per night) and I believe most others all offer regular shuttle services into town.

Also the drivers waiting near the hotels are quite inexpensive (about $3) should you instead choose to use these.

Singapore
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

Thanks Tony

What I'll really like is a good well-drawn out map of THAT area and the attractions/eating places/spas in that area - with best Walking Trail {so to speak}

Much preferable to Blind Stumbling there by myself - as will miss out the spots etc

Does anyone have such a map ? Please share.

TQ !

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

"Does anyone have such a map ?"

Try the Bali Pathfinder Map, often reputed as about the best around.

Ganesha Bookstore (Jalan Raya) is a stockist: ganeshabooksbali.com/…travelbali

"BALI PATHFINDER MAP

Price: US$5.95

A very interesting and colourful map of Bali. This is an ideal map for walking around the gorgeous village of Ubud and the other major villages and towns of Bali."

Just personally, instead of getting a copy myself, as I didn't know my way around I just photocopied relevant pages from the Bali Street Atlas, marked points of interest on the map myself, and carried it in my pocket with pen and small notebook.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 10:16
Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible to walk around Ubud area on foot?

DEATH TRAP

I would strongly urge anyone to give UBUD a miss. The place is a death trap.

I had the misfortune to walk 40 metres from a venue to a hotel to phone for a taxi and fell down a hole in the footpath, breaking my left leg in two places.

I was very lucky in getting assistance to the local clinic and then onto hospital in Denpasar where just about everyone remarked that UBUD is probably the worst place in Bali for footpath safety.

I am a naturally cautious person and had just stepped over one of the holes when the incident happened.

Holiday destination?? Don't think so - disaster waiting to happen - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED