We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

Hello TA folks!

I've really enjoyed reading through The TA threads and I've learned a lot this far. My wife and I are now spending our first night of 16 in Bali in Ubud and would like some advice from folks as there is a lot of possibilities here. We are active late twenty year olds who want to soak in Ubud and get a lot of yoga in before heading to Uluwatu for surfing the rest of the trip.

#1 - Accomodations

The next two nights we are staying at http://alampuisivilla.com for $75 USD a night.

Any other recommendations of this quality of a resort in UBUD area between $40-$75?

We enjoy the new facilities, freshness of the linens and the private pools are an added bonus.

#2 - Must See and Do In Ubud

We are extremely active and would love yoga place recommendations, food recommendations and where to find hand made wood and leather goods by the artisans themselves.

Our hotel offers a shuttle into town so hopefully we could walk to all of these places.

#3 - Massages

Our hotel offers massage for $30-$45 USD , any recommendations for superb quality around $15-$30?

Thank you for your time and help!!!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

Also, Penestanan is in Ubud...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

MangoMunky: Could you tell me which villages are considered part of Ubud? I do get confused by this.:)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

It can get confusing partly because some places are known by their banjar names or the street eg Penestanan or Campuhan or PadangTegal or Pejeng for example. But the actual villages in the kecamatan Ubud are Kedewatan, Lodtunduh, Mas, Peliatan. Petulu, Sayan, Singakerta and Ubud. And these are all part of the Gianyar regency. You can tell where somewhere is in all this if you look at their official address or licence and they fall into one of the above and or their zip code is 80571.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

Thank you for your reply. I am still very confused where each of these "villages" are. Is there an Ubud map that show all of these places? Where is Peliatan.? This area has many restaurants, massage studios, etc. that I am interested in. Where is it in relationship to Penestanan? I will be walking to most of the places that I will frequent. I don't mind taking the occasional taxi home. Thank you for any info that you can pass on.:)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

In very broad geographic terms Peliatan is towards the southern end of Ubud area and Penestanan is towards the northern end. I don't know how many kilometers it is but I would not walk it..personally. It depends quite a bit on where in Penestanan you will be and where in Peliatan...

There are some places in Penestanan where there is no car access and you have to walk down a big cement maze to get to the steep stairs to the main street near Bintang. I hope you are not staying in one of those places. There are also places in Penestanan that are a couple of kilometers from Jalan Raya Ubud. Best to just get here and work it out for yourself..I am not a tour guide personally so can't give you much more guidance sorry! I usually get around by 2 or 4 wheels...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

MangoMunky: Thank you for your reply. You have been in bog help in getting me orientated. :)

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

Oh MangoMunky I take issue with you saying "you have to walk down a big cement maze to get to the steep steps...."! You make it sound like a concrete jungle! I agree there is a maze of concrete paths, but mostly they are so narrow that if you want to pass another person on the path you must turn sideways or put one foot across the subak! I think it is delightful that in the area you are referring to the only access is by foot...leave your bike and car behind. There are still tiny ricefields to be discovered, an overgrown ravine, locals bathing in the river, beautiful gardens and secret doorways. I find that area fascinating - a mix of the old, not so old and brand new.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

jan j: Sound divine! I will have to carry my camera on all my walks.

MangoMunky: I put Penestanan / Peliatan in my search bar. A very good beak down on the areas of Ubud came up from the pages of Rough Guide to Southeast Asia On A Budget. The article was accompanied with good maps of the area. I now know that I am staying in the Campuhan/Sanggingan area, not Penestanan. Also, that Penestanan/Peliatan are a long way apart. But, I am really close to Penestanan which has so many of the things that I am interested in doing in the Ubud area.:)

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

Personally I recommend Magic Fingers on Monkey Forest Road opposite the end of Jalan Dewi Sita. They have airconditioning which I like - it's just too hot without it. I think their massages ranged from $10 to $20 AUD depending on what you got. Nothing fancy but good strong massages. Note that most massage therapists are not formally trained in therapeutic massages like in Aust or Canada - well, maybe some top end ones are but so long as I can find good places like Magic Fingers, I'm happy to pay less and get more massages.

And Google maps is pretty good at showing what's what in Ubud. Yes it is confusing.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 3 Questions About Ubud, Bali

Hi Jan: here's what I wrote along the rest of my post: There are SOME places in Penestanan where there is no car access and you have to walk down a big cement maze to get to the steep stairs to the main street near Bintang.

I know some people stay in Penestanan and like it. And yes I walk also. But as a friend recently expereinced, not having car access can be an issue, and I am not telling people not to stay there, I am just mentioning the possibility. They arrived in the evening, thinking the taxi would be able to get them to their hotel. After a long frustrating time of circling the roads and backtracking, they found out that the car could only get to within about 100 meters of their accomodation. As sensitive people, they were mortified to realize that the only way their heavy luggage could get to the place was by having the young men and women carry their boxes and bags on their heads the 100 meters.

There are many nice places in Penestanan and I do walk all over Ubud, but there are times like Condu mentioned, walking from Penestanan to Peliatan is not very practical.

Get answers to your questions about Ubud
Recent Conversations