We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a Cash passport in Ubud

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Using a Cash passport in Ubud

Hi just wondering if anyone has ever used a "cash passport " prepaid MasterCard or visa currency card whilst travelling in Bali and Singapore. We are coming to Bali in 4 weeks and are still weighing up our options for paying bills and purchasing trips and shopping etc. x

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
739 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

Hi Debs, I used to have a cash passport card but stopped using due to the ernormous fees associated with each and every transaction, I have since switched to a 28 Degrees Mastercard. I put the card into credit with my own money before I leave and I pay very minimal charges. The biggest attraction for me was no currency conversion rates at all. They have now introduced a small fee for "cash advances" but I only ever paid about A$3.00 each time I used it. More cost effective than using my own bank's debit card and miles ahead in the fee department from my Cash Passport card.

I do believe other contributors are fond of a Citibank card also. Perhaps go on line and do some research. I found the Canex websit to be pretty handy.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,216 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

As tudish mentions, cash passports can work out as expensive. As a Brit you don't have the option of a 28 Degrees card, but the Halifax Clarity card is worth a look; free foreign withdrawals with no transaction fees and a smashing exchange rate. It's a credit card so you need to make sure you pay off any cash advances quickly to avoid interest charges. I've found it to be the best option. Or take cash and debit cards as back up.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

Hi happynoodleboy,

Thanks for your suggestion of the Halifax clarity card. Fabulous advise. I've researched it on Martin Lewis's money matters website and they say it's the top card for using abroad, and the comparisons to other cards are just amazing. I've applied for the card, been accepted and it's on its way to us. We will of course take cash and a debit card too for cash advances as you say, but if you can play the system and save the charges then it's all good.Thanks once again for your help. Debbie

Edited: 06 July 2014, 11:07
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,216 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

Don't forget to register the cards for use abroad; just phone them up and give them your countries, and dates. If you don't, you risk the cards being blocked the first time you try to use them. The withdrawal limit for the Clarity is £500 per day, so easy to withdraw a chunk of cash in a few transactions. Do bear in mind you're charged interest from the day you make your withdrawal, so pay off the amount quickly - this is where internet banking comes in handy.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 11:16
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

Rather than paying off the card afterwards and risk paying interest, you can pay into it electronically before you go (i.e. use it as a debit card rather than a credit card) . We use Bpay in Australia, not sure what the equivalent is in UK, it's just the method you usually use to pay your credit card off but do it before you purchase rather than after.

Most banks won't advertise you can do this as there's not much in it for them, plus if it gets defrauded I don't think they are liable for the loss if it's your money, but I've done it for years with no problems and prefer to manage my money this way.

I usually put in a week's budget at a time so it limits how much is lost if something untoward does happen, and I leave at least 3 days before I really need it - our BPay can take that long to show up on a card.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,216 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

This is fairly easy to do if you are an electronic banker by simply paying a chunk of cash onto the card from your bank account, as if you're paying off a balance that doesn't exist. In effect you're preloading the card, so you're withdrawing your own money rather than the bank, therefore avoiding interest charges. However do this at your own risk as it's against the terms and conditions of the Clarity:

Can I put money on my card to increase my available credit whilst on holiday?

Credit cards are not designed to be used this way. Using the card in this way breaches the product's Terms & Conditions, which state:

7.7 You must not make payments or transfer funds from another credit or store card to your account that would leave a credit balance on your account. We may return any funds that exceed the balance owing on your account to the account from which the money was sent.

7. Re: Using a Cash passport in Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15