We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is in Ubud?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What is in Ubud?

Hi all,

Last time we were in Bali we drove up the the volcano and either passed through or skirted around the edge of Ubud. We didn't really see much and when we return ina few weeks we thought we would head back up there one morning to see what Ubud is all about.

Can anyone suggest what there is to do there - we are two families with 5 kids under 10 years old.

Is it just arts and crafts with some nice cafes up in the hills or is there more to see.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is in Ubud?

Zeussy1976, I think you need to to do a bit of research.....Ubud is definitely not "just arts and crafts with some nice cafes up in the hills.

For a start, try reading the Ubud section of the forum, as well as the Top questions about Bali - especially day trips and things to do in Bali + travelling with children

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is in Ubud?

Central Ubud is a crowded busy town. You don't see a lot of families here. I did see a few small children at the monkey forest. Here you will be able to push a pram around easily. Watch out for the monkeys! I have a huge hole in my bag from a large male monkey who took a liking to it. He bit and tore at it because I was not going to let go. You will have a lot of trouble with a pram in the street due to large holes in the pavement and at the Ubud markets where there are stairs etc. I have a 12 yr old who would be bored silly but would be prepared to trek through rice fields etc. How long have you got? Most families that I saw seem to just come up for the day with a driver and get driven to the sites instead of being on foot.

I can recommend Yandira. He has a good Ubud day itinerary. Yandira77@yahoo. He will charge 500,000idr. But you could just find someone where you are of through your hotel. If you are staying through to the evening maybe catch the Kecak Fire Dance which is pretty cool. Don't sit too close though due to hot coals getting kicked around. Sunday night there is a traditional puppet show on around 8pm. Good too see after dinner.

There is plenty of awesome things to see around Ubud. Just be aware that getting around central Ubud on foot can be stressful with that many kids of the age. I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about it lol. Are they ok to walk on the road with traffic? Really, just organise a driver and a good itinerary with a lot of good opportunities for them to get out and run around.

Best of luck.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is in Ubud?

Some people think of Ubud as just the one banjar which is pretty much the downtown area with some other banjars like Padang Tegal thrown in. (Padang Tegal is where the Monkey Forest is located) Ubud is actually a district which encompasses several villages that are spread out for perhaps 10 or so kilometers around.

So if you plan to only visit the very crowded downtown area of a couple of streets then there is a limited amount of things to see and do. But since you are bringing a car then do take the opportunity to do a little touring and see greater Ubud, the rice fields, river gorges like Wos and Ayung, temples and so forth.

Personally, I don't think a day trip to "Ubud" is the best plan..

.it's much better to stay a few nights to see the different side of Ubud..the village compounds, the traditional lifestyles, the performaing arts like gamelan and traditional dancing and Wayang Kulit puppetry. If you are lucky you will see a temple ceremony as well.

But I know for many people time is limited and perhaps interest in Hindu culture is not the main goal of a vacation trip.

I can't comment on the children part, if your children are on the older side of 10 they could love it,,but if they are 2 or 3 years old they will probably not get as much out of Ubud... In Batubulan on your way up here there is the Bird and Reptile Park and of course in Taro there is the elephant park.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is in Ubud?

Also I need to mention that there are about 65 different gamelan and dance or puppet performances in various banjars in the Ubud region, about 8 different ones every night. Many many to choose from.

5. Re: What is in Ubud?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:15