We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current exchange rate

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Current exchange rate

I was looking to buy some Rupiahs before I left but was wondering what the current rate is in Bali. I understand that it is usually a better rate in Bali but I have seen some deals here in the uk so need advice if anyone has a rough idea of the rate at the moment.

Any help is welcomed and ideally pound to rupiah rates please

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,330 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current exchange rate

Hi Tony - a site such as the one below is a good litmus test on this:

http://www.balibestrate.com

London
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current exchange rate

It's been hovering as near as dammit to 20,000 rupiah to the pound for quite a few months now, which makes life much easier when converting prices. IDR100,000 is a about a fiver. If you're taking an ipad, the XE.com currency conversion app is quite useful. You can plug in a few different currencies (ie US$, £, IDR ) and it will convert simultaneously.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
340 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current exchange rate

Best to change your notes In bali

northampton
Level Contributor
394 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current exchange rate

I was also thinking about getting 30-40 pounds worth in the uk before coming in sept just for the taxi and stuff ?!?? Or is it better to change some at the airport once we have landed ?

Also what should I take new 20 pound notes or try get 50 pound notes to change ?

London
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current exchange rate

Frosty, I wouldn't bother changing any in the UK. Pay for your visa on arrival in pounds and get the change in rupiah. There are also money changers and ATMs at the airport. Are you using the airport taxi or getting your hotel to pick you up? If the latter, you can always ask the driver to stop at a money changer or a bank, although if you are starting off in the south, you might as well just check into your hotel and then find the money changers/banks yourself on foot.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,330 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current exchange rate

Hi frosty - in addition to Karen's excellent advice, personally I would take a mix of new/good condition £20 and £50 notes if you're exchanging cash there. Save the twenties to give you more flexibility towards the end of the holiday when you should be able to gauge how much you'll need to exchange without leaving you with too much surplus rupiah.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current exchange rate

is a money changer an atm machine? or a person and how would you know if they are reputable? being picker up by a driven to Uluwatu area.the hotel said he would stop at a store so I can purchase water maybe he could stop at an atm or money changer..just need to know about a money changer

London
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current exchange rate

Money changers are actual businesses that change money. They're foreign exchange dealers with big boards at the front displaying their daily rates for various currencies.

There are ATMs at the airport, but if you want to use a bank or money changer, just tell your driver when you meet him. There will be more options on the Kuta side of the airport than at the Uluwatu side so tell him before he starts driving.

Have you read the Top Tips about changing money? It explains which money changers you should use. This is the link:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
northampton
Level Contributor
394 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current exchange rate

Hi what would be better from the airport taxi outside or hotel we are staying in sanur first ??!? Sorry only just started to look into our honey moon going for a month first stopping at Singapore 2 days then Borneo 12-14 days then bali 10 days then kuala Lumpur for 2 days ! And have a wedding to plan and we actually go 4 weeks tomorrow so only just started to think oh I have a honeymoon to plan 😢 .

So if I take 500 pounds from the start of our honeymoon I prob won't be left with any money by the time we get to bali so we be using a credit card ?!?!? As I don't want to take to much cash with us

London
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current exchange rate

Frosty, I don't use credit cards at all. I use my Metro bank debit card for holiday spending (when they first opened all foreign transactions were free, they're not any more, but it is still competitive) and have my Nationwide debit card as a backup (and I take cash). Metro branches are mainly in the south, but you can get an online account. Their support services are excellent and they reply very promptly if you have any queries from abroad. Are you staying in Sabah for the Borneo part of your honeymoon? Generally speaking it's very cheap and you can pay for most tours etc by card. I pay for all of my big expenses like hotels before I leave the UK, just in case my card/s get blocked or stolen while I'm away.

If you're planning to use an airport taxi you'll need to visit the airport ATM first and get some rupiahs as you pay for the taxis up front. But if you're arriving in Sanur at a reasonable time, check into your hotel and then go to one of the authorised money changers on the street for your bigger transactions. The last thing you want is to be juggling huge wads of unfamiliar cash as well as your luggage five minutes after landing in the country, when your brain is tired and fuzzy after a flight.

Mentioned in this post
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia