We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help Me Plan My Journey

tyy
Malaysia
4 posts
Save Topic
Please Help Me Plan My Journey

Hi everyone!

I’ve signed up for a 4D3N package to Bali for a short getaway after our wedding. We will be staying in Ubud Village Resort (yes, for all 3 nights). Any recommendations on how we should plan our trip (where should we start first, south or east of Bali)? and what are the 'must go, must see, must eat, must buy' places, food and goodies??

Thanks a million!!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

Hello tyy,

Congrats on your upcming wedding! I think that we need more info so that we can hep you out better.

What time do you arrive in Bali? Perhaps you can stop at all the craft villages en route to Ubud from the airport?

Also, the south is very popular with tourists, but it's an hour frm Ubud. Assuming that yo're talking about Kuta/Legian/Seminyak/. Forget about Uluwatu - that's too far. Also east Bali - Amed, Tulamben, Candidasa is also at least 1.5 hours from Ubud. So I think you neeed to let us know what you want/like to do first.

The East is mainly for snorkelling or diving, but you also have nice snorkelling and dive spots in Malaysia.

Ubud is mainly culture.

The south is beach culture....

As for food - what do you like to eat? One must eat restaurant is

Mozaic in Ubud. But it's pricey and you don't mention your budget...? Do you want to splurge or fo you want to not spend so much, after all, you would have just paid for your wedding!?

tyy
Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

Hi jade du,

Thanks for your reply!! Our ETA would be 14:00 (assuming no flight delay), and our resort allows late check in (so, that is a good news to us). And our ETD would be 20:00 (on the 4th day)

This is what we have in mind (in priority):

- shopping for bargains (handicraft and textiles)

- to try out their nice and affordable local food as much as we could (however, we don’t mind splurging a little on food, on average, how much does dining in Mozaic cost? Anywhere for a romantic sunset dinner?)

- to visit some of their cultural sites (temples and shrines)

- spa and massages (if time permits)

We can forgo the snorkeling and dive spots as I am not a fan of those activities ;)

These are the places which we would like to cover during our stay in Bali: Denpasar, Sanur, Kuta, Seminyak and of course Ubud. How do you think we should plan our journey and where do you think we should start?

Again, thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!!

Cheers

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

Hi,

Ok, some options:

Day 1

After arrival, visit Kuta/Legian/Seminyak, have dinner in Seminyak.

Head for Ubud after dinner.

Or

After arrival, visit Kuta/Legian/Seminyak, go to Tanah Lot Temple for the sunset. Head for Ubud after that, dinner in Ubud. The sun sets pretty early, so you will not have much time in the south though.

Day 2

Do a day trip paround Ubud - visit the local villages to see the various trades - stonecutters, silver, woodcarving. You might want to skip batik, since you're from Malaysia. Then check out the surrounding areas in Ubud (lovely terraced rice fields) and the temples around that area. Be back in Ubud at the evening and have a massage treatment before dinner.

Day 3

Relax in Ubud - shopping. Some more spa treatments? They have couple packages. Watch a cultural performance at the Ubud Palace.

Day 4

Relax in Ubud until time to leave. Ask for a late check-out. They may not be able to give you such a late check out, so if you don't want to hang around there, head for the south for some last minute shopping and makan before departing.

OR

Day 1

After arrival, visit the craft villages en route to Ubud. Arrive in Ubud. Try your luck for a massage treatment (unless you book in advance), then go for dinner.

Day 2

Visit Ubud and surroundings. Can explore the temples, look at the lovely landscapes, head down to the south, stay in the south the rest of the time, have dinner there and then head back to Ubud after that.

Day 3 and 4:

Same as above

Or you could choose to just hang around Ubud on Day 2 and do the south on Day 3

If you are into dances and all that, then there is also Batubulan (which is in the village of stonecutters) where there are dances in the morning and evening. Not sure about the afternoon.

The thing is the places that you want to cover:

Denpasar, Sanur, Kuta, Seminyak - are in the south. They are about 1 hour from Ubud. Sanur is slightly less, but Sanur is about 15 min from Seminyak.

If you want a romantic sunset dinner, try Kupu Kupu Barong in Ubud - more expensive, but nice.

As for Mozaic:

www.mozaic-bali.com

Go there for more the experience. Food is also good, but what's interesting is that they have a 6 course Chef's Surprise, where you won't know what you're served until they put it in front of you. Of course, they'll ask you for your likes/dislikes/allergies first. One person might set you back around M$120, I think. It's fine Dining.

You may also want contacts for drivers in Bali. Dean is the most popular and I think he will be really good for your itinerary. But in case he's fully booked, here's a list:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294226-s1/Bali:Indon…

Holler if you need any more help. ;-)

Dallas
Level Contributor
26 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

I just came back from Bali. That is a good hotelfrom what I understand. Make sure that you go to see temple dances in Ubud. Monday night there is a fire dance. If you go to fire dance, be careful when the guy lights the fire. He likes to kick it all around, but it is a lot of fun. There are three temple complexes where they have dances. One of them was called spirit of Bali. One was Ramayana, which also had the fire dance. ubud palace is one of the places.

Ubud is a small toen with really interesting restaurants and galaries. Avoid buying knock off watches and clothes!. If you buy anything, BARGAIN shamelessly.

If you need to get clothes launder, go to any local laundry. They are only good for jeans and regular clothes; nothing fancy. We went to "Jaya Electric Laundry". For site seeing use hotel van. They should charge you ten dollars an hour.

We hired the car for about five or six hours and went to Baisakhi temple, Buddhist caves, Volcano area, spring temple and surrounding area. Rest of the time we shopped, saw dances every night at the temples and enjoyed different eating estrablishments. Hotel staff knows local eating places. We ate at several places on the monkey forest road. They all were good.

Spa treatments are cheaper at local spas, but more convinient if done in your room. They are erally fun and they will enhance the honeymoon experience. All of our massages and treatments were done in our villa. Two women would come and both me and my wife had treatments at the same time, while we could still talk to each other and be together. We stayed at "kajane" but all the hotels seem good.

Don't over plan. Just have fun. buy one of the books, they have very good info. I just read one at local Borders and took notes.

Paris
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

Hi new comer to Bali!

I have come to Bali since more than 10 years now [even stayed a year once] and I feel I can give you some recommendations as I love it.

About Hotels I would rather recommend you to stay at Komaneka Resort at Monkey Forest in central Ubud [Ubud Village is out of Ubud] which, from my point of view, is of a better quality in terms of basic architecture,interior design and cosiness, maintenance, service, staff kindness, and with a real boutique [Ubud Village's boutique is almost empty!] and a well known painting gallery than your previous choice for all these reasons and again for its locationin central Ubud allowing you to stroll around and go to painting galleries, restaurants, shops... without taking the shuttle.

From Komaneka you can also have a free entrance and complimentary shuttle to the Neka painting Museum [have a look at your Guide, it is THE painting Museum in Bali].

The quality of the Hotel is oustanding with magnificent scenery, infinite pool and delicious Balinese food and for an equivalent price. Sorry for not being enhousiastic about your Ubud Village choice, but as I just visited it a week ago with friends, I can say that, a part from the garden] I was very desappointed by the cold feeling I got from it. Moreover there is no view whilst at Komaneka where I have stayed several times, you can overlook paddy fields, the little jungle according of the room you choose.

Amongst very good restaurants you have Dirty Duck with delicious grilled duck [a speciality] and other foods and superbe desserts, Casa Luna, Batan Waru with Indonesian food. Also go to the market [5 minutes walk from Komaneka] and try delicious Babi Guling served with vegetables somewhat hot, rice, eated sitting on the floor with people from the village [noworry it is very clean], It the cheapest meal you can have in Ubud but mind your cholesterol level if too often.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

hello,

my suggestion is to rent a car with a driver at least for 1 day.. to check out other regions of Bali.. cost of renting a car with a driver is $25 USD per day..

here are places that I'd recommend,

KUTA beach.. a lot of nightlife activities.. it gets crowded at times.. depends on your liking.. everyone seems to like to check out Kuta Beach when they visit Bali.. shopping, in my opinion, is best near Kuta.. since the stores are fairly competitive against one another..

AS LONG AS YOU KNOW HOW TO BARGAIN.. YOU REALLY HAVE TO BARGAIN....

JIMBARAN.. i have recommended my good friends who love seafood to eat there.. be there early, preferably around 4-5pm to get a nice table at the restaurant on the beach..

Good luck...

Hyderabad
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

I just wanted to get back to you about the driver that I would like to recommend. His name is Sila. We hired him for 6 days and he was absolutely wonderful!!

He was recommended to us by the driver called Dean who is highly recommended by folks here.

Sila's details

Email:yomansila@dps.centrin.net.id

Phone:08123 916 102

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

hi like to travel

how much does he charge per day ?

what sort of cardoes he have ?

cheers

batt

tyy
Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

Dear jade du, nishendu, jonquille, Buzz25 and LiktToTravel151,

Thanks for all your input!! Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!!!

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Help Me Plan My Journey

i love it when someone says thank you , for all the effort we put in !

it's great to hear it tyy !

even though i had no input , im sure the others appreciate the gratitude , makes you want to keep helping !

enjoy your trip

cheers

batt