We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pirates of tangkuban perahu

Which Bandung hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
pirates of tangkuban perahu

beware those who are going to tangkuban perahu..if i don't use the word conned,cheated, extortion or broad daylike robbery..that's it we had encountered. Once reach the peak,our local driver introduce us to pak johan,we feel confidence after he show his self proclaim local guide identity,he told us that the charges was 30k rp an hour..so the next minute,me,my wife And two kids(infant and toddler)was under the spell or charm of him.For no reason we were let to the terrain down to the crater,we were follwed by another six peddler,their tactics was formal conversation,and make you comfort. Once down at the crater they insist us to submerge our feet on greenish water( as it was theraphy)but their real intention is to ask you to buy their product, despite refusal,they will make you buy those stupid stone and bla..bla..bla.in the end my wife had to fork up 1 million rupiah(in town you can get about 100 time cheaper) at that moment we were so scared,no other people was there and just thinking of getting out with the kids safely,pak johan charges us 800k irp,out of desperation and scared my wife just took out whatever she got in her pocket and pay her 600k...we had no money left,our stupid driver even insist us to make police report......but he can be part of those scam...to those pirate of tangkuban perahu thou shall repent or we shall met in judgement day...those are heartless people who never though of a couple with a defenceless child and kid.. th

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Your driver INTRODUCED you to these scammers?

It is better to post the details of the driver and the car rental company that you used (and possibly all the details that you have) so that other members are beware of not to use the mentioned car rental company or the driver again.

I still think that no matter what touristy place you visited, always DO research of the history of the place and all, so that you don't have to engage in any guiding service (especially the one that is being introduced to you - it will be different if the guiding service is being advertised by the ticket office/park management). Basically, you can roam around by yourself and read the story from the board without needing to engage with any service.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,994 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

<<.but he can be part of those scam.>.

100%, definitely, how can you think otherwise if he introduced you to them???? Your driver had a commission from the sum you were robbed.

YOU need to do the following things:

1/ post here the details of the driver and the company that brought you in such situation. AS A WARNING to the fellow travelers.

2/ I am terribly sorry about the whole issue in general, and the scary moment you family experienced at Mt. Tankuban Perahu. Please do READ the forum and consult with TA community before doing an adventure. WE always advise

**** NOT TO GO DOWN****** with so called local guides, have you not read our warning???? There is no legal guide service in this place, all so called guide are self proclaim scam and print their ID with photoshop.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 14:52
Melbourne
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Oh Indonesia, when will you do something about this? Years have gone by, nothing has been done. Should be a country with a lot of potential. There's no way it's going to be a developed country. What has the government been doing really? They could have started with the most basic and easiest thing, such as implementing regulations for the tourism sector. How hard would it be just to put officials in the area and monitor any illegal activities? Seriously, anyone explain to me just how hard it would be. Sighs.

SEA
Level Contributor
237 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Hi there,

That is why I hate to visit Tangkuban Perahu if not as an eye opener for my children. It is also lucky that I've read the review threads on Tangkuban Perahu in TA prior to our visit.

So we were already prepared not to give in to the "Local Guide" and not take up any offers initially. They were really persistent but you have to show them that you are even more so.

Regards,

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Hi,

I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. Don't let that stop you from traveling though.

This happens everywhere you have the tourist trade.

Whether you are visiting the Taj Mahal, Spanish Steps in Rome or the Washington Monument, you are going to be accosted by touts.

It is part of the experience of traveling, especially when you looked so vulnerable with the kids scrambling around the volcano.

A firm NO, repeatedly, would have saved your wife the 1 million rupiah.

@Melbourne, when was the last time you visited Brisbane without someone trying to push a time share on you. I bet you wouldn't be shouting Aussie! Aussie! Aussie ! then would ja?

It is not about Indonesia. It is about the casual tourist using his common sense to navigate around touts the best way we can, anywhere in the World.

Having said that, thank you OP for the heads up. It will better help the next group of tourist venturing up to Tangkuban Perahu.

Happy traveling.

IMHO.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

craneboy,

You delivered a good point. I know you love your country, but please keep it at a fair and reasonable level when you voice out your opinion about it. Don't sugarcoat things. You know it's true that Indonesia's tourism sector in particular is poorly executed and supported. If you can't accept that point, then there's no point I'm writing this reply for you. Even a lot of Indonesian people know that. While this may also happen in lots of other countries, even the developed ones, the government or authorities always attempt to tackle every problem, so this problem will never arise or at least at its minimum level. This is what I raised in my paragraph above. You type in 'Tangkuban Perahu' in the search box and see how many threads come up with the same problem being delivered.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Yes..even when iam writing this it left a lot of trauma to my wife and children.....we were just thinkin bout what will happen to us if we don't give in to em...

Another things is,we feel that we are under the spell or hypnosis....I know my wife well,she was not that adventure enough to follow them to those terrain with unven pathway,their intention is clear...it is totally not recommended to goes down the terrain with our young infant....

I just want to let our ta community to judge themselve by our experience and be aware of "WENGKY CAR RENTAL",tel-+62-81320464242,if anyone of you want to see those t.p pirate photo can email to me...

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

First of all: the phone number given to you is a PRIVATE MOBILE PHONE number!

Reliable car rental company would normally have landline telephone number. For Bandung, this should begin with area code +6222 (sadly, CDMA line also begin with this code for Bandung area).

This should ring a bell for other traveler seeking for a reliable car rental. If you want a service from full fledged company, look at the details correctly or at least discuss with the locals (you never discuss about this on TA forums, we can't tell you if anything suspicious arise such as company contact details).

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Dear AFineFrenzy,

It is craneboywill and NOT craneboy.

Your point is well taken. We are all entitled to our own opinions. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

It is priceless that you point out I am sugar coating things, when you yourself are simply ranting. At least I was trying to balance the OPs experience with my own experiences and perceptions. You were simply RANTING.

Some things will get better, some things do not. Rome has been a tourist destination for 2000 years, the Italians still have to contend with the tourist targeted pickpocket problem after all these years. Can't understand why the developed Italians havn't solved this problem.

I truly sympathise with the the Original Poster, but I am still of the opinion that the situation could have been overcome with a little more firmness and experience in dealing with these situations. Avoiding Tangkuban Perahu until the govt does something about it is not the ideal solution. You sound suspiciously like a Singaporean yourself AFineFrezy!!! and I mean it in a good way.

I am all into the name and shame game on this Forum. Yes, please name the driver and post his pics. Should serve him right if he loses some business.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pirates of tangkuban perahu

Dear craneboywill,

You have a solid point there on the pickpocket problem in Rome. But now,

In Indonesia/Bandung/Jakarta, is:

-tourism developed as much as it is in Rome?

-it as clean as it is in Rome?

-public transport as reliable as it is in Rome?

-it visited as many as Rome is?

-it universally infamous as it is in Rome?

Moreover, you're comparing theft-pickpocket with lack of officials/authorities/government support that has been occuring for only God know how long. Theft-pickpocket can happen anywhere around the world, no matter how hard the government of a country tries to address this issue, there will always be someone with bad intention. But the issue that is initially being talked on this thread is very very solvable and it is one of the cornerstones for tourism sector. How long has it been going on? Check the past threads on this. Years change, the problem stays the same.