We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY Bandung.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
DIY Bandung.

Hello there,

We've got 2D2N in Bandung, arriving in the late Friday afternoon, would you recommend picking up a scooter and hitting the road up to the craters and sort for the night or reserve it for a full day on a saturday? Are scooters easily found and rented in bandung as they are in other parts? We don't have a license for a car unfortunately.

Purely backpacking, we stayed in Bali for about USD5 a night for a private room with en suite. Anyone has good hostel recommendations?

We are not keen at all on shopping. I'd be extremely appreciative of any other recommendations or itineraries you've done before?

Cheers.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY Bandung.

<<would you recommend picking up a scooter and hitting the road up to the craters and sort for the night or reserve it for a full day on a saturday?>>

Wondering what time you will reach Bandung because the craters will close down at 5PM. Weekend traffic is pretty jammed going to the craters unless you go very early.. The roads are pretty steep and make sure you can handle it.. They are not as flat as Bali.. :)

<<Are scooters easily found and rented in bandung as they are in other parts?>>

I am pretty sure you are able to rent a motorcycle but you need to contact the hotel concierge since I don't know any contacts there.. Motorcycles are not commonly found and rented in Bandung for tourist.. definitely not as easy as Bali..

Bandung roads are hard to navigate IMO.. even for me.. get very acquainted with the map before you go..

<<I'd be extremely appreciative of any other recommendations or itineraries you've done before?>>

Probably going to the craters and culinary tourism.. Paskal Hypersquare food court recommended in your case.. Amanda and Kartika Sari bakeries for the brownies if you are interested.. :)

Edited: 17 February 2012, 10:21
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY Bandung.

renting a car with driver is the better solution rather than to hire motorbike, especially if you're not keen on shopping, other natural sights are located outside the city and it will take more than an hour of travel. Also, considering the road condition, hitting the road with motorbike might not be a good idea as you'll fight with other big vehicles (and you'll be shocked to find out about local's driving skills...)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,434 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY Bandung.

1/ Renting a bike ( legally) is not an option for you, as you clearly have NO LOCAL license. Even if you have an international one it`s not legit in Indonesia.

2/ you have ZERO knowlege about local roads and transport organization.

3/ area around Lembang is FAMOUS for random police checks ( moto bikes especially). I would not even imagine HOW happy the road police might be if a foreigner without documents is caught in their nets...................

4/ Bandung is not bali, you will not find a decent accommodation for 5 USD here. Only a telephone booth or a comfy banana leaf to sleep under................

5/ for itineraries check THINGS_TO_DO on the left side of your screen.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY Bandung.

Schonefeld...

Re your comment "Renting a bike ( legally) is not an option for you, as you clearly have NO LOCAL license. Even if you have an international one it`s not legit in Indonesia."

Are you serious? 10`s of Thousands of tourists have/are travelling to Indonesia under the assumption that International Licence is all that is needed.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY Bandung.

Hi,

I must honestly say I dont know where you would rent a bike from in Bandung. If its any help, you might be able to get one of the ojek drivers to drive you around for a fixed fee for the day.

Alternatively, the public bus you are looking for will say " Lembang" or " Ledeng". Travel time from town to Lembang is only an hour. From Lembang, look for buses going to Subang or Ciater. Tell the driver to drop you off at the entrance to the volcano. Its a steep walk or thumb a ride from the turn off to the volcano. I am sure an empty tour bus will give you the 10 min lift.

Cattleya Hotel will charge you USD 15 a room. That would be for 2 persons, it is clean and in a great location close to the Istana Plaza on Jln Kaliki.

Cheers.

6. Re: DIY Bandung.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 15:05
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY Bandung.

Talk about rude!

I only asked what I thought was a reasonable question.

I don't think I'll bother, again

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY Bandung.

Travelnut ---let me try to attempt in answering your question regarding international licence. I have travelled extensively through out Indonesia for the last decade and in my experiences is yes that the police in bali are more tolerant to the foreigners and do accept international licence, this maybe because tourism is bali's number 1 source of income and that they are more accepting of the international rulings such as international licences are acceptable. However not all (if any) of Indonesia is anything like bali and the custom, culture and especially the local authorities are different. They accept things what they want to accept themselves and what accepted internationally or nationally sometimes doesn't mean anything. I have been cought by police in jakarta and other parts of Indonesia and I still have to pay the "fine" to the police even after i provide them my Internatioanal licence. You may be able to argue your way out of it, but sometimes it can cause more hassle and easier to pay the "fine".

9. Re: DIY Bandung.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 14:05
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DIY Bandung.

Bali is a very touristy and friendly and the relevant authority are not that strict to enforce the rules unless there is an accident..

Bundung and elsewhere Indonesia is not that friendly for visitors renting bike or car/motor vehicles.

Penny wise pound foolish when there is a incidents.(A lot of vehicles are not well insured and you had to deal directly with all people involved when there is a mishap.)

What the DE at Indonesia want to advise TA is to protect the interests of visitor to Indonesia .

4-5 trips to Indonesia does not meant you had seem the local situation well (you had not seen how the internal system really worked)

You can disregards all advised given and take what ever risks as you deem fit.