We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

I will be celebrating my wife's birthday at Bandung from 13-16 June. We will be arriving Jakarta at 7am on Friday, 13th June.

1) We will head to Bogor for a quick stopover, and then to Bandung by car. Will the traffic be terrible at that time?

2) We will be returning to Jakarta from Bandung by car on Sunday, 15th June after lunch around 3pm. I understand traffic will be bad. Is it much better to forgo the convenience and take the train instead?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Friday morning from the airport to Bogor should be quite OK since you'll be traveling against the traffic. From Bogor to Bandung should also be OK. Return trip from Bandung to Jakarta, it's better to take the train.

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Returning to Jakarta from Bandung on Sunday about 3pm I would plan train trip too.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,829 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Rico-Akisan, hello and welcome to TA forum!

I kinda agree with all the advice given above. Friday morning is very OK to get to Bogor, but if i were you i would go straight to BDG instead.... On Sunday - taking a train instead of car is wise.

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

sunday, if you want to go straight to airport, better use car. if you using train, you must use taxi from train station to airport. it is about 1 hour trip.

total time between car and train + taxi is almost same. but you do not need to moving your luggage (from train to taxi).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Wow.. Thank you guys for the swift responses!

If I do take a train, I would want to book a hotel near Gambir. I believe I would need to get a train ticket way earlier. Does utiket.com really work? I heard I can only buy a day in advance, yes?

Schonefeld, why would you not go Bogor? Is it boring there or will I take up too much time travelling?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,829 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Rico-Akisan, hi again,

Friday is a hectic day to get to BDG, and in the middle of the day and towards evening it is a disaster to get there, as half of JKT will be doing exactly the same.... morning is a perfect time to sneak BEFORE the major flow of vacationers, i would not bother with Bogor because of that...and indeed it`s boring - aside form Botanic gardens there is nothing to shout about over there. Presidential palace you can glimpse from afar only.....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Hey guys,

What if I leave Bandung for Jakarta at 7 in the morning on a Sunday? Will traffic be as bad?

Edited: 30 May 2014, 09:40
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,829 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Rico-Akisan, hi

you can do it. the return jams on Sunday start in the afternoon............if you are with luggage travel by car door-to-door is indeed the most convenient in comparison with train.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

Hi Schonefeld, thank you so much for your advise! I can decide now! Yayy!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,829 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jkt-Bdo-Jkt transport/traffic advise

very welcome... any time!