We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

My wife and I want to visit Malang then go onto Bali (Lovinia).

1) Does anyone know how long the drive takes to the Ketapang ferry from Malang? From there is it another 2 hours to Lovinia after hiring a driver? Would that be a good way to go?

2.) Would it be better (faster and easier) to fly from Malang or Surabaya to Denpasar then drive to Lovinia?

I would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks in advance.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

1) From Malang to Banyuwangi (ferry crossing to Ketapang in Bali) is around 6-7 hours away by public bus.

From Ketapang (ferry terminal in Bali) to Lovina in northern Bali is another 2-3 hours.

2) Flying will cut the travelling time considerably. From Ngurah Rai to Lovina is still 3 hours drive away. Only Wings Air www.lionair.co.id operates 1 daily afternoon flight from Malang to Bali while you can get many other choices between Surabaya and Bali.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

Wow - many thanks. I have never heard of Lion Air but that flight will work great!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

Just a (slightly) bad news: only credit cardholder from Indonesian bank can book Lion Air ticket online. The ticket is also not available from online travel agent (e.g. Expedia)

Otherwise, you can always contact any Indonesia-based travel agent and ask them to book the ticket for you.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

Unfortuanetly you are right. I tried to book this myself and as not able to do so. If I wait until I arrive in the country, one week before I want to go from Malang to DSP, the flight might be fully booked. Finding an honest Indonesia-based travel agent is also a risky proposition. The only time I have ever been cheated on-line, in many years of travel was with an Indonesian- based travel agent.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps my hotel in Malang will do this for me. Any other suggestions??

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

I can recommend you to check out few Surabaya and Bali-based travel agent

1. Perama Tour www.peramatour.com/onlineform.php?idprod=86 You can try to contacting them through messenger or fill in their online form, usually they will respond in 24 hours. Call them for faster result.

2. Bayu Buana http://www.bayubuanatravel.com quite big name, domestic ticketing is not available to be booked online, so maybe give them a call.

3. Haryono Tour http://www.haryonotours.com/ based in Surabaya.

These are just a few but they're quite bid in operation. The most important thing to note is the method of payment: choose one that is the most viable for you.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

Cirque - You are MOST helpful. Many thanks!

7. Re: Travel options - Malang to Lovinia (Bali)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 10:18