We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
12 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Surabaya to Malang by public transport

August 2011 I traveled to Malang to visit Gunung Bromo.

We had flown to Surabaya in the afternoon and decided to go straight to Malang. We got a 20,000rupiah bus from the airport to the bus station - there is a booth to purchase tickets as you come through from baggage reclaim.

We were guided to the correct bus by helpful stewards and paid for our tickets on the bus - 20,000 rupiah per person again. The trip was about 2 hours.

The ticket has a list of times which are regular between 6.10 and 9.10 then 11.50, 12.40, 15.10 and regular again til 18.10, 20.50, 21.40.

Once we got to Malang there were a couple of touts but again bus station employees directed us to the local minivans. There are a range of routes with prices around 3,000 rupiah.

It was a painless experience, with more help than hindrance.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Thanks for sharing! Surabaya to Malang is probably the best intercity bus connection in Indonesia. The departures are frequent (every 3 mins for economy bus, every 15 minutes for AC bus). The schedule that you wrote is just for that specific company, there are many other bus companies in this route.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Hi

Just for clarification

Surabaya Airport directly to Malang city take 2 hours and cost 20,000Rupiah?

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

I'm going to Malang and will landing at Surabaya Juanda airport. Is there any direct bus from Juanda Airport to Malang? Any recommendation which busses is reputable

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

post #3 - duplicate posting tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297715-i10447-k48…

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

the answer is here : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297715-i10447-k47…

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Update from my trip Surabaya-Malang: There is a bus from Airport to Bungurasih Bus terminal (aka Purabaya). The bus to Malang is frequent every 15 minute and tourist advised to take bus from inside terminal (to enter terminal fare is Rp 200) and my ticket to Malang is Rp15,000 ( AC bus). Always get Patas bus (or express bus). There is many calo (people who ask you to take their bus) outside the terminal. Just ignore them and go straight to the terminal. The fare is paying inside the bus.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Hi, shazz, thanks for sharing. In this matter, instead of taking straight bus from Surabaya airport to Malang as suggested by MalayRich, you go to Purabaya bus station first and then take the bus to Malang, isn't it? You paid Rp200 to enter the bus terminal? I've never heard about it before... so this information is totally new to me too.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Hi cirque, it's common in some bus terminals to pay a fee called "peron" fee.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

I mean, is it really Rp200? Even these days, the entrance fee to use toilet is much more than that. Can you (or shazz) clarify on this?

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surabaya to Malang by public transport

Dear Cirque, yes they charge me fee to enter bus terminal Rp200 only but I hay pay Rp500 but no refund. The security ask me to pay at 'peron' at counter just beside the entrance. I dont know what is 'peron'?