We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Surabaya to Malang

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
368 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Surabaya to Malang

We would prefer to travel from Surabaya to Malang by train rather than by road but the only trains I can see on the kereta-api.id website are 06:45, 07:10 and 17:45. Have I got that right as we'd rather travel between 10 am and 3 pm? The website's not easy to use as you have to specify the particular station at each end rather than just the city pair. With three stations in Surabaya and six in Malang, that's 18 possibilities. Thanks

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

There is train from Surabaya Gubeng station to Malang at 11.00am on Ekonomi Penataran.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

Thanks for that info. What are the Ekonomi trains like? Is it possible to book them in advance at all, either online or the previous day at the station?

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

For me economy seat is ok. Book when you get there but not necessary if not holiday season.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

The correct stations are Surabaya Gubeng and Malang. You got the schedule right, 06:45 is Bima executive train, 07:10 and 17:45 are Penataran economy train. Bima train is a new service just launched several weeks ago. I think it's the best choice and much better and faster than economy train. The price difference is only IDR 5,000.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

Thanks, Sambal G.

Radjaff, Thanks for that but we really don't want to leave Surabaya that early. We'd rather spend an extra hour travelling in less comfort than get up that early. We'll have travelled from Jakarta the day before on the Argo Bromo Anggrek Pagi.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

Hi,

I can understand that :) BTW the Penataran trains in the above schedule are Penataran Express which stop at lesser station than the "regular" Penataran trains. Penataran Express is air conditioned while regular Penataran is not air conditioned. The journey with Penataran Express is promised to be done in less than 2 hours while it can be 3-3.5 hours with regular Penataran.

The schedule for regular Penataran trains: 10:50, 15:10, 16:20. This is how the regular Penataran train looks like: siary.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/in-train/ while this is the Penataran Express train: …blogspot.com/2013/11/penataran-ekspress.html

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

Radjaff,

Thanks for the detail. We've now got the right information to decide.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

You're welcome. Appreciate if you can update us after the trip :)

9. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 02:05
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Surabaya to Malang

We've decided that the afternoon/evening Penataran Ekspres is the way to go but now I'm totally confused over when it departs from Surabaya (Gubeng) with different information on each website I look at. Can anyone let me know when this train departs (we'll travel in June)?