We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort with great house reef

Which Manado hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Resort with great house reef

I'm looking for the perfect resort...

..with a somewhat shallow house reef swimming distance from shore, kayaks for hire, and internet access.

Wouldn't say no to a bit of luxury or spa (but don't really need).

Traveling single so it would be great not to be with all honeymoon couples!

I only have 3 nights; I'm flying in from a 10-day liveabord trip in Raja Ampat, and then meeting a dive group in Lembeh + Gangga for another 10 days. So not looking for diving as much as a great place to Chill.

Mainland would be better since I don't want the hassles of traveling far from the airport, and it would be nice to go into town for dinner and shopping (a hit of civilization!).

But the house reef factor is most important to me.

Any ideas?

Was looking at Santika, Tasik Ria, Minahasa....?

Malaysia and...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort with great house reef

Try the one at Bira beach, I came across one when I was looking for accommodation there

usa
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort with great house reef

Wakatobi is supposed to have one of the best house reefs around, but It might be impractical to do that trip for just three days. I can tell you from firsthand experience that the house reef at Misool Eco Resort (southern Raja Ampat) is very very poor due to a rather extreme history of dynamite fishing in its recent past. If you can get to the philippines, balicasag island has a nice house reef and good prices. Lastly, I've been told by several people that the diving is good near Kri resort raja ampat, but the house reef isn't divable very easy without a boat.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort with great house reef

Thanks! This forum is not very popular -- lots of people asking questions but not enough answers.

I guess that's what you get when you want to go remote.

I'll be flying thru the Philippines and plan to do a few days stopover there -- I'll check out that island.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort with great house reef

i know it's late answer, but Siladen resort and Spa with Siladen house reef and Bunaken Cha Cha with Bunaken TImur house reef is the best that not so far from the shore. both of thm has air conditioner and internet.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort with great house reef

Hi zuzanocka

Bira beach is at South Sulawesi where as Manado is at north Sulawesi

UK
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort with great house reef

Hi,

Generally, the places with the best house reefs tend to be remote and as such, not possible to visit for just 3 nights.

If you are interested in muck diving, I would choose a place in Bali like Scuba Seraya Resort. It's a really lovely resort with great muck diving right on their doorstep. And the Liberty Wreck is nearby.

If you're not into muck, maybe somewhere else in Bali? There are lots of resorts there and great diving.

I have to address a comment by jofshiningbluewaters - I have been to Misool Eco Resort and I completely disagree with his assessment of the house reef - it is beautiful - it has a gorgeous coral wall with vibrantly healthy coral, gorgonians, pygmy seahorses (3 species!), tons of fusiliers, a huge school of jacks by the jetty, reef sharks, napoleon wrasses, groupers, electric file clams, crocodile fish, orangutan crabs....I saw so much stuff there! There is a small bombed portion of the reef but the healthy wall area is much more extensive and full of life and colour. And I think they deserve praise for having created a 425 square km no - take zone/ marine protected area.

Good luck with your search!

7. Re: Resort with great house reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 06:15