We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

Which Manado hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

Hell Friends!

I will be in Manado from October 18th 2014 (arriving late at night) untill October 24th (where I will get in a diving live aboard, in the afternoon).

Im trying to figure out what would be the best route/timing, so I can visit dive Bunaken and Lembeh and also get to know a little of the dry Manado and surroundings.

If possible, I would like to know:

1 - Is it possible to dive in Bunaken islands (the good spots!), while being in a hotel based in Manado ? (or anywhere in the mainland sulawesi). I mean, if its always a 2 hour boat to any spot.. i think it would be better to stay in Bunaken.

2 - Im thinking on spliting my time like this:

- Oct 19th :: Manado and surroundings

- Oct 20th :: Manado and surroundings

- Oct 21th :: Dive in Bunaken

- Oct 22th :: Dive in Bunaken

- Oct 23th :: Dive in Bunaken. In the afternoon, move to Lembeh area

- Oct 24th :: Dive in Lembeh

- Oct 25th :: Dive in Lembeh (in the morning only). In the afternoon, go to the Dive boat

My questions about this are:

2a) Is only 2 days for getting to know manado... ok ? Should it be more .. or less?

2b) Where is better ? Should I stay more in Lembeh or Bunaken ?

3 - Do I need a rental car while in there ? I like renting cars. It gives me more freedom and speed.. but is it a good idea to rent it there ?

Thanks a lot !!!

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

Please anyone....

I know my question is big...

REsuming, what I really need to know (so I can buy the air tickets and hotels) is: Is it possible to dive 3 days in Bunaken area... but staying based in manado ?

Thanks!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

I stayed at Tasik Ria which is a short drive from Manado and spent several days diving in the Bunaken marine park, it was about an hour away on the boat. The diving was spectacular.

Amazing wall dives, marine life and the Corals where amazing. We then stayed at KBR on the Lembeh straights, that was also amazing but totally different diving, mostly muck diving and only a short distance to dive sites on speed boats. If I had to choose a preference it would be diving on Bunaken, but both are fantastic. As for driving, I'd give it a miss unless you have a death wish!!

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

If you stay in Manado and use private transfer to and from Bunaken, it would be expensive. I used private boat from Panorama homestay to Manado pier and it was 500.000 rupiah 1-way for the boat (can fit about 10-12 people). In comparison I paid 150.000 per day for the homestay (3 meals included).

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
111 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

Sure it is possible to dive Bunaken from Manado. There's several dive resort in Manado or mainland La Rascase, Tasik Ria, Lumba2, NDC, Murex, Minahasa Lagoon), ect). The hotel in the city might not have their own DC operation but can also help you to contact dive center. They offer 2-3 dives per day boat diving, traveling time vary depend 20 - 60 minutes one way.

we stayed at La rascase and dive Bunaken, Lembeh as well as several muck dive sites in Manado.

So, It is also possible for you to dive Lembeh from Manado, we did last years, but the traveling time was too much.

Staying in island certainyly will bring you closer to the dive sites.

Bunaken vs Lembeh?

You can't compare as both is very different. I like both but will spend more time in Lembeh. Bunaken is very beatiful, but I'll geting bore after 3-4 days, but a week is too short in Lembeh for us.

If you have time, try Bangka, It's amazing

In Manado/mainland we have stayed in Tasik Ria, La Rascasse, Santika (the DC was Thalasa diver), Ritzy (DC: Blue banter)

Bunaken : Twofish,

Lembeh : Twofish (best value for budget), Bastianos, KBR, Black sand, and will stay in Froggies Diver 3rd week of Dec. 2013

sao paulo
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

Thank you ALL for the fast and good answers!

Ive decided I will stay in Manado and will make some boat dives in the morning and get to know other places in land by the afternoon.

As I will be on a live abord for 12 days... I think I should get my obsessed diver inside me a valium and get to know other places.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: ops! Posted with the wrong person!

Edited: 09 December 2013, 02:27
Malaysia - Fiji
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

Wow that was a long way to get the information. You have already booked a liveaboard in North Sulawesi? If you had booked with a knowledgeable agent they could have answered all your questions during the booking process.

7. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 15:26
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,033 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

post # 7 - spam

9. Re: Can I dive in Bunaken, being based in Manado ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 13:15