We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake toba

Lisbon
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
lake toba

Hey!I´ve been reading quite a lot and I ask the experts for indonesia if going from bali to lake toba wouldn´t be eating away 2 whole days of travelling?tks

Sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake toba

Hi,

It's fairly cheap to fly within Indonesia with alot of budget airlines.

Check out Mandala Air that has flights from Denpasar to Medan, it's then a few hours on the bus to Lake Toba. I'd say these flights are via Jakarta though still quite cheap.

www.mandalaair.com

If you are staying in Medan or Lake Toba check out the different hotels that are available:

http://www.sumatra-indonesia.com/medan.htm

http://www.sumatra-indonesia.com/Laketoba.htm

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: lake toba

Hi,

Yes, I would say you will take at least one and half days to get to Lake Toba from Bali.

If you can get an early morning flight from Bali to Jakarta, then a connecting flight to Medan- you will get to Medan mid afternoon.

Suggest you stay the night in Medan because by the time you find a bus or hire car and get down to Prapat it probably would be too late to get the ferry across to Samosir island.

Best to leave early next morning by bus or hire car and get to Prapat 5 hrs later and then the ferry across which can take up to one hour depending onwhere you are staying.

Pamela

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
948 posts
1,588 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake toba

Hi,

Yeah I'd say 2 days is about right.

It's your call as to if you think that is eating up too much of your holiday time.

I really like Toba and think it'd be worth the effort. If you wanted somewhere closer to Bali, maybe you could consider Yogyakarta?

Lisbon
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lake toba

hey camsean and scott,tks for the attention!I´m putting post all over the place.

Yeah!I´m beginning to think that it´s too far.It´s not the flight that worries me it´s the don´t know how many hours inside a car or a bus,well we´ll see.I´ll do the usual thing and let it run,see what gives...

I´ve been to Yoghyacarta,I had a nice time there but not sure worth going back.maybe Solo.has any of you guys been?

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
948 posts
1,588 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake toba

Hi again Carlos,

The trip from Medan to Toba is about 5 hours. It;s not too terrible a journey really.

Solo is nice. Like a quiet Jogya really. I reckon you could fly to Surabaya and do an overland trip through East and Central Java, finish in Jogya and then fly back to Bali. I did something similar (in reverse in 2006 and had a great time.

6. Re: lake toba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Medan