We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang to Medan by ferry

Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Penang to Medan by ferry

Having a few days in Penang so thinking of catching the ferry from Penang to Medan for a few days...

What can we do in Medan for a day or two.... and ferry costs over... looks like its a 6 hour trip

A worthwhile trip do you feel, being only for a few days ?

Thanks... Iru

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

Hi

goto this link

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297696-i9510-k131…

Also contact pPamela for more info.

She is the expert at Sumatra:IMHO

Edited: 26 March 2010, 06:31
Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

Okies thankyou Leo

Iru

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

I think takes a few hours by ferry from Penang to Medan and I would dread to take such a long ferry in Indonesia which is notorious about safety standards of sea travel. Every year, there are a few accidents of ferry sinking and a few hundred deaths. I would advise you to thoroughly check the credentials of the ferry operator before taking the ride.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

Not recommended to take the ferry ride cos you need to take another city shuttle from the port to city and more over you will be hassled by the touts always hovering around the port in search for victims.

Take a short flight from Penang to Medan

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

Hi,

If I was you I would not be bothered getting the ferry- it does take quite a few hours because you have to do the immigration thing at both ends and years ago it used to take hours.

Trip can be so damn rough and yes you will be confronted with loads of touts at the other end.

Years ago the bus trip used to be included in the price of the ferry ticket but not sure if that is the case now.

You arrive at Belawan harbour via ferry which is 30 kms from the main city of Medan.

Ferry from Medan from Penang and return will take up roughly two days.

Suggest you fly into Medan from Penang and stay for about 5-6 days visiting places out of the main city like Bukit Lawang and Tangkahan OR Brestagi and Lake Toba.

Northern Sumatra is indeed beautiful and definitely worth a visit.

Here are a set of posts on Bukit Lawang and Tangkahan you might find interesting to read and decide if you wish to visit.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294231-i9609-k327…

Happy travelling.

Pamela

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

I think the fast boat between Penang and Medan are malaysuan owned,and safe.But the trip can be rough ,and since oilprices went up,they sail at a slower speed.The boats that are sinking are the old tubs from Sibolga and Padang sailing to smaller islands

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

For anyone thinking of taking the ferry from Penang to Medan, we arrived in Penang a couple of days ago to do just this and have found that the ferries have been cancelled. Not entirely sure whether this is a seasonal or a permanent development. We've decided to fly to Medan instead - managed to get last minute flights for less than the cost of the ferry (which was 150RM one way).

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

Hi Emma,

You are correct- the ferries finished in about May this year - there was a recent report on another travel forum.

And being able to get flights cheaper than the ferry is the main reason why they have finished.

Thanks for updating us here.

Pamela

Edited: 01 November 2010, 11:28
Galveston Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

may i know which airline operates flight from medan to penang, besides airasia?

great thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Penang to Medan by ferry

Hi Sugarkatie,

The airlines flying from Penang to Medan are

Firefly - http://www.fireflyz.com.my/

Lion Air - http://www.lionair.co.id/default.aspx

There might be more but these are the ones I know of.

Firefly only started early last year.

Pamela.

Get answers to your questions about Medan