We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver Rate?

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Driver Rate?

Hi, I hope someone can give some guideline here on a reasonable rate to expect for engaging a driver from Medan-Berastagi-Samsoir-Medan. I had got a quote from both Bob and Narasindo Tours which are both recommended in this forum but their quote varies too much. In Bali, you can get a driver for about 450,000 rupiah/day but seems like the rate is much higher for Medan. And can anyone also advise if there's any entrance fees for Siposi-posi waterfall, Long house of Simalungun Bataks, Dokan Village, Ambarita village, Simanindo, Tomok Village, Maimoon palace and the Grand Mosque?

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver Rate?

the one day car rental (kijang innova) with driver is averaging 600k

sipiso-piso and maimoon palace require entry fee which is 2000/3000 for piso-piso and 5000 for maimoon, and no entry fee for the rest

the competition in bali is much much more fierce than medan, im pretty sure u can get even cheaper than that in bali. 2 completely diff place, cant compare apple to orange

Singapore
Level Contributor
472 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver Rate?

Glad that someone had raised this topic in this forum. 600,000 to pay for a day seems very reasonable. Hi artemiofrance, do you have any driver recommendation? I'm facing the same driver problem too as there are very limited driver information here besides those who are promoting themselves, Bob had requested for a deposit of 2.5million rupiah for the 6 of us which I'm not comfortable to pay since I don't stay in Medan. And Narasindo Tour had charged me 5million for 5D4N for 6 of us using a Pregio for the same tour plan as mentioned by ztefen which includes car, petrol, entrance fees, car ferry to Samsoir Island and Sibayak climbing for 2 of us. The last day for airport transfer only, the quote seems too expensive.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver Rate?

Please do be very careful concerning payments in advance for services like this, indeed for any services.

The motivation to provide sufficient and customer service focused results is diminished when payment is already completed.

Any misunderstandings or insufficient clarity in the arrangements have a good potential to remain unsatisfactorily resolved.

Also you must be very certain the operator is genuine and both capable of providing the service, and intending to do it in the manner outlined.

With drivers and day tours the risks involve vehicle substitution, drivers who are uninterested in completing the schedule as planned, or maybe wish to divert elsewhere where they may derive a commission from a visit.

Pre-payment of hotel, travel and trekking arrangements are also fraught with potential pitfalls. You must be sure you are dealing with the operator you think you are dealing with, and not just some booking or pre-payment service, and check out their bona-fides thoroughly.

Obviously some personal testimonies from a long established forum contributor here or on one of the other popular travel forums can offer some good assistance in clarifying matters.

A driver/tour company should not normally need payment in full, in advance, to secure a booking.

My immediate reaction to seeing this would be that the provider either thinks the customer would change their mind after seeing the vehicle and driver being provided, or that they are asking too much and hold concerns the customer would not pay the price asked for if they were already at the destination.

This is general advice for the destination, and is not confined to either Medan or even Sumatra.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 06:48
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver Rate?

Posting 3

j_hurcules gave very good advice.

Do not pay advance deposit.

Singapore
Level Contributor
472 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver Rate?

Dear j_hurcules & leopang, thanks so much for both your valuable advice. I do share the same sentiment too, how can the driver expect advance payment when I'm not even there? What if they don't turn up on the agreed date? Can anyone advise me some other driver contacts? Reckon the 2 drivers mentioned so often in this forum are not as good.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver Rate?

I agree with all about not paying an advance deposit. Once you have paid you are at the complete mercy of whoever you sent money to. And not only can cars be substituted, the complete package can be changed...driver, car, you might even be asked to pay for add ons such as extra petrol, room for driver, etc etc , even if those things were supposedly part of the deal.

I recently paid rp 500,000 per day for private AC car with driver. I paid for petrol which was about rp 200,000 for Medan - Berastagi - Samosir over several days. I paid the driver a per diem for cigarette money of rp 50,000 a day and all his accomodation was free, as most hotels have free spaces for drivers.

Singapore
Level Contributor
472 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver Rate?

Hi ubudpuppy, may I have your driver contact?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
31 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver Rate?

I totally agree with J_Hurcules - i had a very bad experience in Surabaya with Lintang Buana travel agent - after paying everything in full - we realise they actually engage a freelance tour guide and drive for us and their service is not up to the minumum required standard.

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver Rate?

unfortunately i dun have any personal recommendation for a driver.

anyway, seems like they (narasindo and bob) are charging a "package tour" price and not just car rental. the above mentioned price of 600k are for car rental, which i think if you already done your research should be perfectly fine, the driver from the car rental is local and know places too, and you already know yur own itinerary. and im pretty sure if you rent the car for 5days price can be negotiated down.

i can try look for number/website of car rental in medan, but it wouldnt be a recommendation, just information.

regarding advance payment, sometime guest do a last minute cancellation too, and they (driver) end up having no job on those day having rejected other offers for the same date. not taking anyone side, just presenting an argument from the other side of the coin. its all bout reaching that middle point where both party feel safe and fair, no right or wrong here

10. Re: Driver Rate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 12:41