We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Hi

I went on a 8D7N backpacking trip to Padang from 15-22 July 2012 and will like to share my experience.

Here is my itinerary for reference:

15/7- Padang

16/7- Bukittinggi

17/7- Bukittinggi

18/7- Lake Maninjau

19/7- Harau Valley

20/7- Bukittinggi

21/7- Padang

22/7- Padang

This is my first time travelling solo and generally a pleasant experience as I had all the time to do things I want. The itinerary wasn't like this initially, but it was altered after some considerations due to several factors.

15/7

The airport tax is Rp30,000.

Transport

There's several way to get to the city.

1. Cars

2. Bus

Using the car service will cost you from Rp100,000-150,000.

If you are not in a rush, be firm and insist on the Damri Bus. The Damri Bus was within my vision just when I exit the airport entrance. It will cost you Rp18,000 only. The Damri Bus is comfortable, air-conditioned and clean. The bus drops you at fix spots only so please be sure of your hotel's location and alight at the

nearest stop.

JFYI, the stops: Jl. Hasanudin - Hotel Bumiminang - Jl. Diponegoro - Jl. Pemuda - Jl. Damar - Jl. Veteran - Jl. Juanda - Jl. S.Parman - Jl. Adinegoro - Sp. Duku - Jl. Ketaping - BIM(PP)

Accommodation

My first and last night was at Brigitte House. I enjoyed my stay here. Brigitte is a friendly lady who is always ready to assist in any areas of doubts. Her staff were extremely pleasant, always ready to assist me if I had any questions. On my last day of the vacation, I wanted to do some walking to find food (Bulan Puasa

just started) but suddenly a car stops beside me and I realize it was the staff from Brigitte House, he gave me a ride and showed me the shops which were opened...in the end I chose to go to Plaza Andalas as I thought there might be more varieties there. It saved me lots of time...and I was very happy that he went all

out to ensure I can find some food to eat, and providing me information with the nearby attractions such as the Siti Nurbaya Bridge. Brigitte house is also located near to Toko Oleh-Oleh Christine Hakim, where you can get souvenirs and local snacks back. The rooms were acceptable and clean to a first-time

backpacker and I have no complains at all.

Attraction

Pasar Raya - Get on an Angkot (Angkutan Kota) and ask them to bring you to Jl. Pasar Raya. As the name suggests, it is a fairly big market selling electronics, apparels and food. All angkot trip cost Rp2,000.

Air Manis beach - Only 2 Angkot brings you to Air Manis Beach. At Pasar Raya, you will be shocked by the number of Angkot there getting out of the market. All the angkots are labelled with numbers, it represent which places they cover. Ask for "403", or ask how to get to Air Manis beach, locals are friendly and will

help you. At Air Manis Beach, 2 important things you must do. Visit Malin Kundang, and walk across to Pulau Pisang Kecil. It is possible to do so at 12noon. I went at about 5pm hoping to catch the sunset and cross to pulau kecil but was washed back by the waves. So I left as a disappointed man...

Food

Roadside stalls can be found along Jl Samudera, it becomes alive at night and you can try the food served there. It is almost the same at every stall. At Jl. Samudera, you can feel the breeze of Indian Ocean and experience the sunset. It is beautiful.

I very much wanted to visit this store Ikan Bakar Pak Agus @ Jl. Hos Cokroaminoto no. 88 E, Padang, West Sumatra, Indonesia but didn't have a chance. It is very near Brigitte house and you don't need to get on any transport. According to the locals, the food served there is extremely nice and probably starts from

Rp20,000 onwards. I wished I could try the food there.

16/7

Transport

The next morning, her staff prepared banana pancake and fruits as breakfast. I did not have any idea how to get to Bukittinggi, but Brigitte had her staff to drive me to the bus terminal. Rp30,000 for the ticket to Bukittinggi. Bukittinggi is very easy to navigate, so do not worry.

Accommodation

I check-in to D'enam Homestay (read as De-Nam). Simen attended to me and patiently told me the attractions and day tours which I can do in Bukittinggi. He is extremely helpful. To be very honest, the bedrooms were much better than I thought it will be, because the ground floor was kind of dark when I entered and I

thought the condition wasn't very good. However I have no complains about the rooms once again.

Attraction

I visited Benteng Fort De Kock. There's a zoo inside and it cost Rp8,000 per entry.

And also Panorama Park, Rp2,000 per entry and there was a lady tour guide asking me to engage her for the Japanese Caves, I wasn't estatic about it at all. Hence I rejected her and explored the beauty of Sianok Canyon that was opposite me. The best part of my vacation was a trek down the Panorama Park to the

Sianok Canyon. I chanced upon a local guide and he brought me through rice plantations, villages and tried goreng pisang sold by the villagers' harvest. It was an eye-opening opportunity and I tipped him reasonably (based on your own wallet). as I enjoyed the tour more than I knew I would in the japanese caves.

I visited the clock tower too, probably took tons of photo there as it was like a centralized spot between D'enam and you definitely have to pass by when you walk around.

Food

Dinner can be settled easily. Jl Ahmad Yani has roadside stalls which serves good food. Beef satay is a must try, the rest will be up to each preference, Nasi Goreng, Mie Ayam, etc.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 02:42
singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

17/7 Bukittinggi

Transport

Took angkot to Panorama park at Rp2,000.

Upon reaching the park, I was approached and the lady guide for Japanese Caves asked if I wanted a tour guide to bring me around in the caves. To me, the caves did not appeal to me. I rejected her politely as I wanted more of the place in terms of its magnificent landscape and not the tourist-developed japanese

caves. I walked to the end of the Panorama Park where there was a 3 storey high tower. The view from up there was superb. There are sovenir stores there as well so you may consider purchasing the items there.

When I almost left the place, I was approached by another guide. It was for a trek down at the Sianok Canyons. I was reluctant but I took it up in the end. It turned out to be the best part of my trip in Padang. The guide brought me down the stairs and we walked past villages, rice plantations, magnificent views of the

surrounding canyons, tried the local made goreng pisang, saw buffaloes lazing around in the plantations. It was an experience which I would have regretted if I missed it. So when the tour ended, I was a happy man.

Accommodation

I stayed another night at D'enam.

18/7 Lake Maninjau

Transport

I boarded angkot 19(no. 19) as it is the one which brings you to Aur Kuning Terminal.

I boarded "Harmonis" and paid 13k for the ticket. One important matter to note, I waited from 9.30am to 12pm because it departs at 12pm/ when the bus is full, whichever comes first. You may want to take note of this and manage your time better.

The terminal was a huge market of wholesale goods. Sandals, batik, belts, wallets, etc.

Accommodation

I took a night at Bayua Beach Inn.

In my opinion it shows the best view of the lake. I will stay in Bayua on my next visit.

Attraction

There are treks and paragliding which you can do here. I am sorry as I did not have any information on this, I did not take up the mentioned programs.

Food

Villagers sell mie bakso or nasi goreng here...

One very important thing to note, this place goes dark at about 6.30 and you can only stay in your inn after that. Roads are very dark without street lamps. From Bayua, you can see lights across the lake and also lights from the 44 kelok kelok, which is nice.

singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

19/7 Harau valley

Transport

I took the minivan from Bayua to the city Rp5,000

Boarded a minivan that brought me to Aur Kuning Rp15,000

From Aur Kuning I boarded a bus to Harau Valley Rp30,000 ( I don't think this is the lowest price ) Please note that the bus does not bring you to Harau Valley straight. You will stop at the city entrance and have to board an ojek to reach there. I boarded an ojek with the help of a store owner, it costed Rp20,000 as there

was an additional charge for entering Harau Valley.

Accommodation

Adbi homestay was full and I had to go to Echo Homestay.

Echo homestay had a wide range of rooms catering for different needs. I took the basic room. The staff were very friendly.

From the homestay, I went to the 3 waterfalls which were located near to each other. It was during their Balimau and I was glad to experience it too. The sight of the valley was beautiful.

Food

Local padang snacks are sold here, locals eating "pop mie", bbq corn.

20/7 Bukittinggi

Transportation

Took a free ride from Kahfi to board a bus(Sinamar) back to Bukittinggi Rp10,000

Accommodation

Stayed at D'enam.

Went looking for sovenirs and food.

Local snacks can be bought at 10k per packet. I was ridiculously offered 30k per packet, glad I did not buy it.

21/7 Padang

Checked out from D'enam and paid Rp40,000 from the homestay to Padang straight.

It is a must to visit Air Manis Beach at noon time. You can walk across to Pulau Pisang Kecil (I regret that I did not do this as I reach the beach at 6pm and the water was high already). You can see Malin Kundang here as well. Don't forget to bring your camera.

You can board the angkot (no. 403) at Jl pasar raya Rp10,000. Pasar raya is like a big market, selling food, electronics and apparels. Took an ojek back Rp20,000

I had great Padang food that night as I paid an ojek to bring me around the city. He was telling me about telur penyu but I strongly objected to it because I feel that it is not right to consume that.

Stayed in brigitte house.

22/7 Padang

I left Brigitte house and walked to "Simpang Enam". This is the place where you can board the bus to the airport. Simpang enam basically means a 6-way junction. Brigitte advised me to wait there at 11am to catch it. I was glad to see the bus around that time. It cost Rp20,000 and comfortable. Do not bother to board

taxi or ojek as this is good enough. I was approached by uncles offering services on their ojek but reject them nicely. Ask them to stop the damri bus for you in case you miss it.

So that is the end of the trip...

singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

I hope this helps although the layout of my write-up is very messy. If you have any questions which I failed to answer in the above posts, feel free to drop me a mail and I will try to help... Have a great day!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Hi EL K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very comprehensive report on your trip.

I loved every minute of reading it and I am sure future travellers to West Sumatra will use this report as an excellent guide to plan their trip.

Pamela.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Dear El,

Thank you so much for your wonderful JBR. Well done! Save me a lot of time doing reseach. I could practically follow the same itinierary. Love your little bits of useful tips here and there. Yes very comprehensive indeed and just tailored made for budget travellers. I will be only going next May during the SCHOOL HOLIDAYS with my colleague and her daughter. I just bought my Air Asia tickets from KL on 21/9 for US $42 return without baggage. The sale started on 20/9 so I don't think my ticket was actually rock bottom cheap. LOL.

My trip is 7d6n and chided myself for booking such a long trip and was scared I would be bored to tears spending so much time there. Now I can't wait to go and try out what you recommended. My first time too in Padang.

Thank you again for your hard work remembering all the minute details in your trip.

Keng

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Hi Keng,

If you email me at pamela_fuge@yahoo.com.au I can send you some maps of the area.

Map of Padang, map of Bukittinggi and one of the main area showing the special tourist sites.

Pamela

Bogor, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

hi, Pamela.. can you send me the maps as well? I'm planning to visit West Sumatra next week, alone, and spend around a week. will probably experience the new year's eve around there.. :D my email is : lincoln_girl1125@yahoo.com

thanks in advance.. :)

and for El K, thanks a lot for your post. it helps me arrange my trip a bit. :)

regards,

Anna

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Hi Anna,

Yes, will send to you now.

Pamela

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Oh wow! Very detail and useful!

Thanks loads..

I am a Western Sumatran myself but its been 10 years since my last visit to my kampong..

I am going to visit approx. a week after Eid Mubarak in August 2013. Want to go to Sikuai island but the reviews say it isnt worth to go..

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 8D7N in Padang, West Sumatra

Hi Amarilla,

Where do you live now?

I think travellers are a bit shocked by the expense of getting to the island.

So are you after a resort type experience in preference to an adventure experience like Pagang Island off Bungus Beach.

I have some information about Pagang Island if you are interested.

Pamela