We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gili islands or Menjangan

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gili islands or Menjangan

We are choosing between Gili island and Menjangan for our July vacation and we want a laid back holiday with some snorkeling and a bit a the beach, which destination would you recommend? Thank you.

Lombok / Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gili islands or Menjangan

Unless you are very keen divers, then I would go for the Gili islands as they will offer more variety for accommodation and eating options, while still giving you the opportunity to do some snorkelling.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gili islands or Menjangan

Gili Islands are more snorkeling friendly. Good for family.

But in my humble opinion, on the peak season, Gili Trawangan is too crowded.

It's good if you want to go shopping and eating there too, but if you enjoy secluded beach more , try Gili Nanggu, only one private owned hotel there.. it is like Gili Trawangan 10 years ago :)

Snorkeling was great there, I have never found so many variety and size of colorful parrot fish... kids will like it. Oh and they have many sea turtles too!

Good Luck!

Lombok / Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gili islands or Menjangan

I spent quite a bit of time on both Nangu and Trawangan over the last 15 years, and I have to say Nangu is nothing like Trawangan ever was in that time.

Nanggu - good side = very quiet, no hawkers, nice coral off the beach.

bad side = nothing much to do other than read a book or go snorkelling. No choice of restaurants or accommodation. Personally I think it is fantastic for a day trip.

Trawangan - good side = reasonably vibrant small tropical island. Good choice of places to eat. Good range of accommodation.

Bad side = reputation as a party island, noisy at night in some places. Coral damaged.

As a compromise I'd go to Gili Meno.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gili islands or Menjangan

Gili Air is just right for a laid back holiday.

Menjangan wins hands down for the diving/snorkelling. BUT you can't actually stay there. You stay at Pemuteran or close by on the mainland, and take day trips to Menjangan.

5. Re: Gili islands or Menjangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 05:16