We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

Hello, can anyone let me know if there are any boats/ tour guides available in kuta lombok who will help us do a day trip to the Gilis. I will be staying at Novotel lombok. Or else, whats the best way to travel from lombok to gilis? approx cost or any info on a reliable tour company wud be much appreciated.

Lombok / Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

Going from Kuta Lombok to the 3 Gilis near Senggigi for a day trip is a very long way to go. You will not get much time on any of the Gilis. It will be at least 1.5 - 2 hours each way by car, plus the boat transfer there and back. You would need to set out very early to get any of the public ferries to the Gili otherwise you will have to charter a boat to take you, which starts getting very expensive.

You would be better off planning to check out of the Novetel and stay on one of the Gilis for a night.

Alternatively, what exactly are you hoping for by visiting the 3 famous Gilis? There are other gilis and places to snorkel on Lombok, some are far superior to what is offered on the Gilis. p.s. gili means island. There are dozens of gilis off Lombok, but the 3 famous ones have started to be collectively known as 'the Gilis'.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

as advised, too far to go there and back in a day and appreciate the place as well.

there are lots of scenic places to look at and visit from kuta. there are also other islands gili nanggu, which is closer than the gili islands.

if keen then stay at the gili islands for a few days.

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

Thanks much for the info. We read about this island called Nanggu as well but have no idea if that could be a substitute for a trip to the 3 Gilis. Basically, since we read that Lombok is still somewhat unspoilt we wanted to catch the best of islands, snorkelling (were thinking 3 Gilli's for that reason). Dont need too much, just a few good spots would do since we have a 5 yr old with us. If the 3 Gilli's are not good option from Kuta, what day trips to any other islands would you suggest that give us some good clear waters plus some snorkelling.....dont want to miss out on Lombok's pristine beauty.....thks a ton!

Lombok / Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

Some of Lombok's pristine waters are right in front of the hotel you are staying at. You have made a good choice there. Because it is so far from the volcano, Kuta Lombok has wonderful white sand beaches and clear waters that are far superior to what you will get on the other side of the island.

From the hotel you should organise a trip to Mawun beach. It is about a 20 min drive from Novetel over a very steep hill. The beach will be almost deserted. You can snorkel at either end of the bay. On the way back get the driver to stop at Ashtari coffee house on top of the hill. This is a must see. Have a drink and snack and take in the view.

I also suggest you post on Thorn Tree for advice on day trips from Kuta Lombok as there are a couple of regulars there who live or have businesses in the area who are more knowledgeable than me.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

as per belencong,

the snorkelling in front of the novotel is shallow safe and pretty. there are heaps of nearby places. the gilis has strong currents so i wouldn't recommend them for a five year old.

as per 5 year old they like to float on top and usually can't use a snorkel and there are usually no masks their size. when my kids were that age they used swim goggles only. towing them around on a body board is a good way for them to see the reefs.

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

Many thanks for your tips.....will check out Thorn Tree as well.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

rockterrigal - great idea about the body board and goggles - I am going to try that with my 4 year old - thanks.

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

I just returned from lombok yday. Novotel Kuta was a lovely place. The sand is beautiful and grainy, the sea is nice but not very ideal for swimming as there are many corals and sea weeds. We didnt go to the 3 gilis however, we went to Gili Nanggu, gili sudak, gili kedis for a day trip and we absolutely loved it. Rented a boat from tawun harbour . He charged us Rp 50.000 for 3 of us. Gili nangu is very good for snorkelling as compared to the other 2 islands.

Also, explore all the other beaches in kuta. loved mawun and selok blanak beach. Tajung aan was a bit crowded and not as beautiful. Seger beach is nice as well.

9. Re: Lombok (Kuta) to Gili island - day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 05:16