We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombok and places to see

london
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lombok and places to see

Hi everyone, I have been looking through forum and internet and really can't find too much information about places to see in Lombok apart from Senggigi and Gili Island which I have plan to visit anyway. However, could anyone recomend me some other places to see we are planning to stay in Lombok for about a week.

I would like to see Gunung Rinjani but I have one disable leg so climbing is no option, is it wort to see it whithout doing too much hiking or climbing?

Any answer would be much appretiated

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lombok and places to see

You could spend a night in Senaru and see Rinjani from there.

Pondok Senaru has good views of the waterfall and with all the rain we have been having it should be fairly spectacular. There is a stepped walk down to the fall of about 20 minutes. If you could manage that you could have a swim in the pool there.

Also check out Kuta in the south. Nothing like it's namesake on Bali Kuta Lombok is still quiet and pretty underdeveloped though that is about to change with the new International airport. New roads are being laid and lots of new places are going up. There are some beautiful beaches in the Kuta area, Segare, Tanjung Aan and my favourite Mawun. You will be one of only a handful of people there is you visit these beaches - unless on a Sunday when they are busy with locals on a day out.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombok and places to see

I suggest you rent a car with a driver. If you would like a guide to accompany you then I recommend Eko from Mangsit beach. He is a really nice person and very flexeble and adaptive to peoples needs. He has some good reviews on TA forums and will make sure that you get to see Lombok without needing to climb any rocky mountain tracks. I am sure he will organise something nice for you either day-by-day or for a longer tour. He can also just set things up as an unaccompanied tour for you in a good late model car with a capable English speaking driver if you would prefer.

You could also do a day trip to the Gili islands by either traditional boat or a speed boat. See this TA forum for some details tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297734-i9238-k404…

Click on this link tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1592993-i15247-k4… for contact details for Eko and some other alternatives.

The suggestion above to go to Senaru is a good one. The scenery and views are great. However I think the walks to the waterfalls may not be so good for you as even the most accessible one involves a descent and re-ascent on a long stairway path. There are lower impact informal walks around there, plenty of low impact beach walks and you might like to visit some villages to see how the local people live.

There are also some very nice areas to drive around on the southern Rinjani slopes with rice fields, tobacco growing areas and rivers to see.

Kuta in the south of Lombok has many attractions, you might like to have a look at Aan bay. As a starting point have a look at the Wikitravel articles on Lombok as you may find them quite informing. Follow the links from http://wikitravel.org/en/Lombok

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombok and places to see

places to see:

dont forget there are three islands in the gillis so a day each at least to enjoy them.

the southern coastline around kuta.

heaven on the planet resort on south east corner - beautiful scenery, nice resort.

haven't been yet but tetebatu and gili naggu sound good.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombok and places to see

Wish you have a nice trip, traveller2011.

Have you visited this site:

http://lombok-island.com

It has good website navigation, and the operator will answer you rapidly once you mail them.

There are many program for Rinjani trekking, including soft trekking program. But I'm not really sure it is fit for you. You may consult the operator about it.

There are many other places to visit, especially if you like to blend with local:

-Three famous Gilis (Gili Meno, Gili Air, Gili Trawangan) for beautiful beach, diving, and stay. No motor vehicles are allowed here.

-Senggigi area and beach.

-Narmada temple

-Baun pusuk forest

-Mataram and Cakranegara area

-Woven village

-Kuta Lombok

-Senaru waterfall

-Mt Rinjani

-etc.

As j_hurcules say, you can rent a car with driver (especially if you are a group), or scooter with driver (called here as 'ojek') if you go just one or two people.

5. Re: Lombok and places to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Lombok
Recent Conversations