We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

My boyfriend and I are off to Bali in June for just over 3 weeks.

Will we need malaria tablets ?

We're obviously worried about the side effects they will give us but would rather that than death !!!

We've had so many people telling us we don't need it but we want to be sure.

Any help would be great !

We've also been told not to bother with Rabies and Dengue so if anyone disagrees with that let me know !

Thanks guys x

Cairns
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Hi,

We just came back from Bali/Lombok and didnt need malaria tablets. We just made sure we chose places to stay with A/C so we had the windows shut at night, and wore mosquito repellant early in the morning and late in the afternoon around sunset. I guess it depends where you are going but if your going to the normal places and not trekking off into the deep remote jungle you should be perfectly fine. I had rabies shots years ago for Africa and again don't touch any dogs or monkeys or animals and your fine, and you get dengue from mosquitos so long as you do the above you should be good. We had 10 days around Lombok/Gilis and 4 days in Ubud, Bali if you need any further help let me know. cheers

Plymouth
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

That's brilliant thank you :)

We were planning on spending around 10 days in Lombok/Gillis too so I feel better now!

Seeing as you're offering... Is there anything you would recommend avoiding or defiantly seeing? I'm extremely nervous as we're off to Australia after so I wont be coming home if I don't like it!! x

Lombok / Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Can I just say, unless you have a complicating condition, the malaria on the Gilis is not the sort that is likely to result in death, but it does make you very, very sick. Untreated it could cause death. Every year, the hospitals in Lombok fill up with people suffering from malaria, and the Gilis is considered worse than Lombok by the locals for malaria mosquitos (one of the reasons the locals never lived on the Gilis until the tourists came). However, June is not the wet season, so there are less mosquitos about.

Dengue is a big problem in Bali, and exists in Lombok and on the gilis too. Be aware that the Dengue mosquito bites during the day, not during the night and not just at sunrise/sunset. There is no vaccination or medication you can take to prevent dengue. What you need to do is not get bitten. So use a good repellent with DEET, and cover up. A high number of tourists holidaying in Bali are contracting dengue, they are staying in hotels with a/c that fog for mosquitos - but you don't go to Bali and sit in your hotel room 24/7. So take proper precautions.

Make sure you pack some loose cotton trousers and long sleeve cotton shirt to wear at night. They will bite you through your clothes too, so also wear repellent. If you are sitting outside your room at night, burn a mosquito coil - you can buy them all over.

If you take malaria medication it won't stop you getting malaria, but you will have a mild dose instead of severe. i.e sick in bed vs hospital and Australia trip cancelled.

Whether you take medication should not be based on answers on a travel forum. Talk to your doctor about the options available, and be aware that you need to start taking it before you reach the malaria area for it to be effective.

In Lombok/Gilis you need something like Malarone or doxyciline. The latter is cheaper but can cause sun sensitivity, and has to be taken from one day before until 28 days after you leave as well. Malarone is more expensive but you only need to take it just before you arrive, during your stay and 1 week after. I have heard of people in the UK getting anti-malrials on the NHS so check with your GP.

You also need to consider your peace of mind - will you be able to relax or worried about every insect you see - and you will see lots, it's the tropics and you will be outdoors a lot.

Edited: 15 April 2011, 00:43
Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Hi,

If you are going to the Gilis I would most definitely be taking malaria tabs.

You can get Doxycycline that is very cheap and protects.

Malaria no matter what type is not a good disease to get and no one can know what the long term medical implications can be for you if you were to contract it, because everyone's body is different.

Pamela

Cairns
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Hi Gailstorm

Geez reading all the posts above I would have freaked out and taken the malaria tablets too! But we live in tropical rainforest and are quite familiar with bugs, mozzies and dengue fever. Our doctor didn't recommend it but I would say just take the doxy if your not sure. We have travelled many times and taken the doxy. It's cheap, and I got few side effects except for sun sensitivity so you just make sure you put on sunscreen or cover up which you would do anyway. So why not for peace of mind?

Here was our trip:

We flew into Mataram and stayed the night at the Lombok Garden Hotel which was fine - probably a bit too upmarket but it was $60/night and we were reasonably happy (nice pool, breakfast, gardens - bathroom a bit old).

We had our driver pick us up and drive down to South Kuta which is stunning - def stay down that way for a few nights as the beaches really are stunning. Tanjung Aung and Mawun Beach are beautiful.

Drive up to Sembulan Luang and stay at the foot of Mt Rinjani. This village is pretty cool as they really like tourists as you are seen as a bit of a novelty like 'what are you doing here?'. - we walked down the street around 5.30 pm and everyone smiles,waves and greets you (without trying to sell you anything which is quite nice if you spend any time in Bali!. Get up early like 6 am and you might be lucky and see the top of Rinjani.

Senaru has a stunning waterfall but there is not much else to do except look at the view so just spend a few hours and drive on. You could prettymuch go to the harbour and get a late boat over to the Gilis. There is not much to see between Senaru and Gilis that you won't have already seen.

You can visit some authenic Wetu Talu villages where you canwalk around and see how the local people live - I didn't really enjoy this as it felt like voyeurism and the people get paid for you to visit and they didn't look all tha thappy to see us to tell you the truth.

Gili Meno - stay at Shack 58 if you can get in and you will never regret it - see their website it was fabulous and well worth the splurge. Went to Kokomo on Gilli T for a treat - happy to visit Gili T but def not our style.

Sengiggi - stay in a resort like Qunci Hotel/Villas for a real treat - resort and spa is lovely. The town of Sengiggi was pretty average and quite disappointing but would come back to Lombok just to hang around the beaches near Qunci and feel like a queen for a few days.

We only travelled for 2 weeks so we were happy to splurge on places just because in Asia your money goes so much further but there were heaps of cheap places.

In Lombok apparenty only 10% of the people work in tourism so they dont see a tourist and want to sell you something straight away (except in Sengiggi and some persistent child hawkers in Kuta). Tourism is still quite new and we met plenty of people who were keen to have photos with us and kids getting excited about digital cameras and seeing themselves. People will try to sell you things but you have to smile, always be polite and remember they are making a hard living. We bartered for some stuff and if sometimes we paid $1 or $2 dollars more well so be it. What we weren't sure was giving the kids lollies and sweets .. in previous countries we found that the kids then see westerners and put their hand out straight away expecting something. It's a tricky one as our guide was handing candy out to the kids so who knows what is right and wrong. Either way I am sure you will have a lovely time - just be relaxed, smile a lot.

Also there is practically 0 decent shopping on Lombok. However I bought a few things but when I got to Bali found them to be double the price (I had thought in Bali there would be more competition so better prices but was wrong and really wish I had bought that bag and shoes in Lombok!!)

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

The current advice is that Lombok is a HIGH risk area - anti-malarials ARE recommended.

To say - 'we were not affected by malaria' is somewhat short-sighted - if bitten by a malaria carrying mosquito you may not realise that you have been infected for up to a year! I know - I treat people who return from holiday and become very ill.

I'm going to Lombok later on this year - together with my family - and I would not even consider the trip without taking anti-malarials.

I have found Malarone to be the ones with the least recorded side-effects and have indeed used them myself - as have my husband and little girl - all with no side effects.

All you can get on a forum such as this though - are opinions - to get correct up to date MEDICAL advice you need to see a medical practitioner!

One final note - I have heard that some travel insurance policies will not pay out if you become ill with a disease such as malaria - if you knowingly decided to go against advice and did not take recommended precautions.

7. Re: malaria tablets for lombok and the gillis?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:18