We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for pearls

Singappore
Level Contributor
58 posts
118 reviews
Shopping for pearls

We will be in Lombok in Oct 12, and will be staying at Mangsit beach. Can anyone please suggest a pearl farm or shop where we can go shop for pearls?

I have tried Google and going through the Tripadvisor site but I cannot find details such as name and address of a reputable pearl farm / shop.

Thank you very much.

Sasaku
Gift & Speciality Shops
Dharma Setya Artshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Gandrung Lombok
Gift & Speciality Shops
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Shopping for pearls

Are you looking for fresh water pearls or sea pearls? And are you looking for just the pearls, or a place that has them set in jewellery?

Singappore
Level Contributor
58 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: Shopping for pearls

Hi

We are looking for South Sea pearls. Preferrably not those already set into jewellery pieces, but loose ones. Thank you!

Singappore
Level Contributor
58 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Shopping for pearls

Hi

We are looking for South Sea pearls. Preferrably not those already set into jewellery pieces, but loose ones. Thank you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Shopping for pearls

Have a look at Autore Pearls, they grow pearls in Lombok (and also have operations in Broome Australia). They have a visitor centre in Teluk Nara where you can do a tour and see how pearls are grown, and they sell both loose and set pearls. I believe there is also a store in Senggigi selling sea pearls.

You will also find many beach sellers selling Chinese fresh water pearls, which you can buy anyway in Singapore - but some of those sellers also sell sea pearls. For the most part these are not good quality, often with thin nacre or oversize beads to make them feel heavy. If you know what to look for in pearls, you will probably move past those quite quickly. Very occasionally I've seen some interesting baroque sea pearls for sale by beach sellers, so it is still worth a look.

Singappore
Level Contributor
58 posts
118 reviews
5. Re: Shopping for pearls

Thank you, Sudiah. I will look out fir Autore Pearls.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
6. Re: Shopping for pearls

You can also visit Sekarbela Pearl Market in Mataram city. You will find that the prices are cheaper here compared with similar products in other areas. Don't forget to bargain, it's always well worth it.

Singappore
Level Contributor
58 posts
118 reviews
7. Re: Shopping for pearls

Thank you, Imaddie. I will look out for Sekarbela Pearl Market.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Shopping for pearls

i am visiting lombok, end oct. can you please advise/review the pearl market that you have visited.

Singappore
Level Contributor
58 posts
118 reviews
9. Re: Shopping for pearls

My visit is next week. I will post my review about pearl shopping before end Oct. Thank you

10. Re: Shopping for pearls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:17