We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

Subic
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

Hi! I just recently booked our flights from Bali to Lombok and back via Merpati airlines. But i just read several bad reviews about them canceling flights last minute. These are 2010-2011 reviews though, but i can't seem to find anything more recent.

My questions are:

1. Should i rebook my return flight to Bali to an earlier time (right now it's at 14:50) to ensure that even if they cancel this particular flight, I'll be sure to get on the later flights? What's the most reliable time to fly back to Bali? (my flight from Bali to Lombok is the first flight in btw, at 8:05 am)

2. Should I cancel my booking, refund my money and just go with another airline? How unreliable are they now really? Hoping someone can help me!

Any other tips when taking Merpati? Or even flying to Bali/Lombok in general?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

Merpati are a little notorious for cancelling a flight that is not full and moving the passengers to a later flight. They always use another excuse, but that's pretty much what they do. That being said, things are busier now than a couple of years ago when those reviews were written and often flights are full so no reason for them to cancel. You are unlikely to get a refund if you do cancel.

They are ok, not my favorite, but no need to cancel your booking. The 8:05 will be fine as it's a popular flight. The 14:50 "sometimes" might be delayed or cancelled, but probably not.

Subic
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

thank you for this. i've been stressing out the entire night wondering if i should just let the money go and cancel my flight. we have a very tight schedule and it would be a nightmare if don't get back to bali on time. thanks for the reassurance.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

My brother just did a round trip with them from Bali to Lombok to visit us. He had the 3.20ish flight back to Bali and an international flight to UK about 8pm. I told him if for some reason ot was cancelled or delayed to kick up a fuss and get put on the next Lion Air/Wings flight out. I know I have been moved to a different airline from Lombok when I had a connecting flight to meet.

Oh and there were no delays....

Edited: 03 May 2013, 14:07
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

all the domestic flights regardless of airline can change flight times or be cancelled. if you leave your indoesian number with them when you buy the ticket I've found that they do contact you to let you know of cancellations.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

We had guests arrive yesterday who should have landed at 1.45pmwith Merpati. the flight was cancelled and they were put on the next which came in about 5.40pm. So they spent the best part of a dy at DPS airport.

6. Re: Traveling via Merpati roundtrip (Bali-Lombok). Unreliable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:20