We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion Air/Wings Air

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lion Air/Wings Air

Just looking at the flights between Bali and Lombok and although we would prefer to fly with Garuda,Lion Air is coming up cheaper and bette flight times.

It says on the web that the flight is operated by Wings Air. Is it still the Lion Air planes, the reason I ask is that my daughter is refusing to fly with Lion Air after what happened to the flight at Bali airport, and wondering if I can happily book it with out her realising!

Many thanks

Mel

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

Yes, they are the same. I understand your dilemma. The first time we flew to Lombok , we flew with Garuda but the frequency and to some extent the lower cost of Wings/ Lion Air meant we flew with them last year and have booked again for this year. I was nervous last year (before the recent incident) because I hadn't flown with them before. All went well. Being a nervous flier I'm always relieved when the plane stops at our destination whenever I fly regardless of the carrier.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 09:40
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

Thank you Sonjii, will have to try and convince her, or look for an alternative. Garuda just fly so late at night.

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

I used Lionair (operated by Wings) yesterday from Bali to Lombok and it was perfectly fine. Smooth,fast just get a cold drink at the lounge just before you board as they haven't any beverages..it's a quick flight so I imagine there is no time for snacks.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

It is worth considering that although LionAir do have some issues it is far from certain the incident with the brand new 737-800NG at DPS was pilot error, or indeed if any airline operational issues played a part, such as pilot fatigue. The full investigation will be the litmus test in that regard.

Also the maintenance programs on their new 737-800s and 900s has a different context to the issues that plagued LionAir with their MD80s and 90s and their older 737s several years ago.

In any case that aircraft the aircraft that got parked in the sea had only moved through the factory doors at Boeing a few weeks before.

Wings Air operate new ATR72500s and 600s.

They are a current version of that aircraft type, all have been delivered new and they are an advanced hi-tech turbo-prop aircraft.

The Bali-Lombok route has a very good operational safety record, not just for Wings operations but for all the airlines on that route.

Likewise the current new Lombok International airport, and the one it replaced.

I have read about several aircraft crashing on the route and all sorts of complete nonsense that has just never happened.

Anything you read on travel blogs and forums that provides those stories is just fantasy based.

People have just made that up for some perverse reason known only to themselves.

Current outstanding orders for further new ATR72-600 aircraft for use by MalIndo and Wings ops will make LionAir/Wings/Malindo the worlds largest operator of that aircraft series.

Citilink (Indonesia) have also ordered a large number of them for Indonesian regional operations.

The ATR72 series is operated by many airlines across the world and is a development of the ATR42 series.

The ATR72-600 is the very latest version of that and was only first certified a couple of years ago. Wings already have 20 ATR72-500s a couple of the 600s have been delivered now and their outstanding order book includes 38 more of them.

A new ATR72-600 atraircraft.com/products/atr-600-series.html costs around US$30million, they are a serious aircraft, a serious investment by any airline and they perform very nicely.

They have an operational range of 1,324 km (823 mi; 715 nmi).

Wings Abadi are fully owned by Lion and operate as a subsidiary feeder airline, the airline haa been operating for 10 years.

They operate Indonesian domestic feeder routes to sublement LionAir mainline services and also some regional international services to Malaysia with these aircraft.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 13:01
turkey
Level Contributor
334 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

we flew Bali to Lombok on wings air on 21 Feb this year - the day Cyclone Rusty hit....ok so we were the only flight to actually depart bali that day but we got there, despite 30 mins circling the airport at Praya due to high winds. Ok it wasnt a great landing - but they landed the plane in a cyclone !! And safely !! They get my vote, despite what happened a month later. And I am still SO gratefull to J-herc for his advise about not going by fast boat. Hopefully my little story will help reassure your daughter...seriously, they landed a little prop plane in a cyclone....it can't get batter than that

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

Thank you all. I asked her to read every ones comments and she said she would consider it!

So fingers crossed, cant book anything yet still bit early, although just found out its Easter next year when we will be away, so cant leave it too late.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

Easter passes on Lombok without any particular fanfare.

There are proclaimed national holidays associated with Easter and some businesses operated by Christian managers or owners may close for on those holidays, as do government offices. Otherwise it is not really noteworthy on the island, not like it is in AU or NZ anyhow.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

if you have surfboards forget lion air as they charge 200 000R per board. also keep in mind that garuda has 30kgs baggage and lion air 15kg. I flew both recently and I prefer garuda.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

Thanks everyone

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lion Air/Wings Air

That 30kg is only for some of the international flights.

However the LionAir/Wings charges for a board a ridiculous.

An adult passenger can fly on that route with them for around that price, including a 15kg baggage and 7kg carry-on allowance, yet they want around the same for a surfboard.

A board can be problematic for them as the hold space is restricted but they are taking things too far. The Rp200,000 charge does nothing to alter the hold dimensions, they are just emptying the passengers wallet.

Also many people fly to the destination to surf.

Most boards are not heavy and I have yet to see anyone bring a solid timber antique Malibu board to Lombok on an aircraft.

It is very irritating that Garuda keep on changing the URLs for their information pages that concern baggage allowances, Visa on Board and other matters.

The airline is disingenuous on many levels, but not to the extent of LionAir who deserve a special award for being astoundingly disingenuous.

See here for the Garuda weight info... their previous Baggage Information.page has gone and there appears to be no current replacement.

If booked through to Lombok on a single ticket and as a final destination of an international route where the 30kg allowance applied then the 30kg should apply for SUB-LOP, CGK-LOP, or DPS-LOP as the final sector.

The general Garuda Domestic provisions are 30kg for business class with 7kg carry-on.

Garuda Domestic economy class is 20kg. Infants paying 10% of fare received 10 Kgs (22lb).

In additional 1 checked or carries on fully collapsible or infants carrying basket or infants car seat.

That is per garudaindonesia.com.sg/…Baggage-Information the Singapore GA site.

Baggage information for Garuda flights on AU routes is here garuda-indonesia.net.au/baggage-information

The 30kg allowances for economy class passengers on AU routes still appears to be applicable, just not evident on the main GA website.

The Garuda AU FAQ state "Economy class passengers are allowed 30 kilos of free checked baggage. Executive Class passengers passengers are allowed 40 kilos free checked baggage.

Please note: baggage allowances can change and also there may be additional allowances for certain destinations - check with your local Garuda Indonesia office prior to travel" that can be found here... http://www.garuda-indonesia.net.au/faqs