We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

I am concerned about Australians' safety in Lombok after reading about demonstrations from angry protestors over reports of spying by the Australian government . Is this just media hype or a real concern for Australian tourists? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

Mrs Bang Bang has changed her phone number now, so you should be OK.

Cheers

Launceston...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

Don't be put off, go & enjoy. It's a political storm in a tea cup!!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
112 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

and mrs bang bang has to be more careful when asking her husband to order dozens of hot submarines (aka kapal selam in indonesian).

Seriously, go there and enjoy Lombok as well as the delicious hot and tasty empek-empek kapal selam (if you can find it in lombok)

--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pempek

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

Look, of course that's what i'd like to hear and I do want to enjoy all Lombok has to offer but, protestors have demanded the central government to take firm action and threatened to raid Australian nationals in Lombok. It just takes the edge off the excitement of a holiday.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

thejakartaglobe.com/news/…

Where does it say that Australians are in danger???

In fact, it states that Australians WILL be protected.

Stop being a drama queen. If you're too worried, just cancel.

This 'story' has been blown out of rational proportion. Our own ABC have much to answer for in their concerted attempts to drum up this sort of hysteria.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

Ok, I'm sorry I didn't mean to be a drama queen!! I just know of a few who are now thinking of travelling elsewhere in Asia.

I will relax and enjoy!

Thanks everyone

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

it is all media hype and rent a mob. Most people in the street know little and care less.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

I'm in lombok at present staying at Senggigi Beach. The locals are very friendly to both my husband and I, we are both Australian. Today we visited the capital Mataram and again nothing but helpful and pleasant, even when we went exploring the locals food markets Lombok wants tourists from Australia, the street sellers through to the hotel staff are all aware of the oz cheap flights to Lombok and they want their industry to increase. We have been visiting Bali for the last 35 years and lombok reminds me of how Bali used to be. I'm happy and relaxed to be here and will return. I highly recommend Lombok it's safe, friendly and beautiful.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

I understand your concern holiday70, particularly given how its been reported by the media. However, any so called protests have actually consisted of a couple of politically motivated individuals and a couple of dozen rent a crowd participants. Photos and footage all taken with very tight angles to make it look bigger and more people than are actually present. The media have their own agenda in trying to whip up a frenzy and im sure are quite disappointed that they were unable to escalate the situation further. Luckily they could move onto education funding this week instead.

And I guarantee if you asked most people you meet in Lombok what they think of Australians they will tell you they love Aussies because Aussies are friendly and easy going, and Aussies are willing to talk to them (there are some European tourists who can be very gruff with the licals)

So, go, enjoy and relax. Guarateed when you are there politics will be far from your mind

10. Re: Should we cancel our visit to Lombok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 06:18