We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back report

Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Just back report

Two weeks in Lombok! So great.

Positives

* Cheap!

* Amazingly friendly people

* It's not Bali

* The street vendors ask once and then leave you alone

* Great restaurants

* Very scenic

* $1 DVDs and most work.

Negatives

* Rubbish on beaches and in the water

* Hot and sticky [my opinion only]

* Day trips are a huge all day event, which is not great with kids.

* Little tourism infrastructure-this is good and bad.

Places to eat

* Square

* Qunci Villas

* De Quake

* Café Antonio

* Taman

Drinking

* We only had cocktails at Qunci, otherwise drank beer and juices.

* Loved the bar on the beach at the Sengiggi Beach Hotel for sunset.

Gili Meno

* Went from Teluk Nare on a speedboat-literally ten minutes for US$40 each way

* Rubbish on the beaches and in the water-the Meno Wall was the worst

* Stunning scenery and swimming

* Ate at Bibi's, Mahllia's Child, Rus and Tropical Hideaway Hotel.

* Saw turtles when snorkelling.

* Best snorkelling was on the east coast at the shipwreck.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 08:02
Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back report

* Both drivers we used were excellent.

* We did a south Lombok and a north Lombok day trip---it was lovely but there is a LOT of driving, a lot.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back report

Well done. I think the time of year has plenty to do with the humidity/stickyness level.

Cheers

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back report

Thanks agaveplant , it's great that you enjoyed Lombok - we love it for many of the reasons that you mentioned. Day trips from one end to the other are long but it was one of those that inspired us to stay in Kuta on future trips - perhaps you will do the same if you return. We love the evening view across to Bali from Senggigi Beach Hotel so much that that is where we stay when in Senggigi . We also have enjoyed some lovely meals and views at De Quake . Are you planning to return?

Edited: 19 January 2014, 08:17
Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back report

Next time I would stay half the time at Kuta and half at Sengiggi, and maybe do Meno again.

When we went to De Quake we were the only people but the food was fantastic.

I loved that everywhere was quiet, it must be different in the high season.

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back report

We did that last time agaveplant , half of our time in Kuta and half our time in Senggigi although we didn't stay in the northern Gilis . We had a day trip to Gili Nanggu for some snorkelling and something different but most of our time was in Kuta and Senggigi , it was a wonderful holiday. I wish I lived in Perth where I could buy direct flights to Lombok.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back report

The humidity and amount of rubbish in the water is seasonal. The rains wash rubbish down creeks into the sea. Sad, but a fact of life in countries with no proper rubbish disposal system. Maybe next time try June to September, with July or August being the best weather. Not much you can do about the driving other than stay closer to where you want to go.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back report

The driving is problematic no matter where you stay. From Sengiggi to the northern waterfalls it's a 2 hour drive one way, so you are looking at a good six hour day trip.

Splitting the stay is probably the best idea but people still need to be aware that the trip from Sengiggi to Kuta is probably 1.5-2 hours.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 02:46
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back report

I agree that the distances between attractions can be a hindrance for those that only have a short Lombok stay planned. For those that have a bit more time, it makes sense to move to different areas for a few days.

We will split our time between different areas on our next trip.

Cheers

Edited: 20 January 2014, 03:25
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back report

Agaveplant, depending on the sort of holiday you want, and the age of your kids probably, Senaru is a nice place to stay. That is right where the waterfalls are you are referring to. There is some lovely sight seeing to be done around the base of Rinjani. It comes down to whether you are the type to get out of the main tourist towns or not I guess.

But you are right, travel takes a long time. The upside is that at least there is usually light traffic compared to other busier Indonesian islands like Bali and Java.

Distance-wise, the trip from Senggigi to Kuta Lombok is around 60-70kms, but it does take around 1.5 hours as you are going on some roads where you are doing less than 60kms. The only part where you can get along quickly is on the double-lane bypass highway.

By comparison it is a slightly longer distance as going from Kuta Bali to Padang Bai in the north, but around the same travel time.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back report

The problem for us is one kid suffers from bad travel sickness, even with medication. We got 45 minutes of the way to the northern waterfalls from Sengiggi and had to give up. The driver arranged his friend to pick the two of us up, while the other two in my family went on with the trip.

We are doomed!