We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gili t-mataram beach

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
gili t-mataram beach

I know there are so many topics on this but I am wondering if its possible to take a private boat ( one close by your hotel) and have it take you to Gili T for the day ( even half a day) with just the people I am travelling with

I know this may be a bit more pricey but we don't have much time and would like to see as many as we can

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gili t-mataram beach

Yes that is certainly possible and many people do it. It is more expensive than the option of taking a taxi north to use the public ferry at Bangsal but if you are sharing the charter cost with a few friends it will seem quite inexpensive. In any case they are really only expensive by comparison with the cheaper public ferry. The traditional wooden boats can be chartered from the beaches at either Senggigi or Mangsit. If you do not want to get involved with the sometimes over enthusiastic tour guides, helpers and others on the beaches then it may be more advantageous to organise it through a local guide. If you use the right person it may work out to be a better price as well rather than haggling with the operators and their 'agents' on the beaches. Have a look at this thread on Tripadvisor. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1592993-i15247-k4…

Have a look at reply number one for some options on travel across to Gil islands from the Lombok mainland.

Mentioned in this post
Senggigi
Senggigi
Lombok, Indonesia
Mangsit
Mangsit
Lombok, Indonesia
The Lombok Lodge
The Lombok Lodge
908 Reviews
Lombok, Indonesia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gili t-mataram beach

thank you so much!

that was so helpful. i think we will definitely get a local guide to assist us!

i know this is off topic but you seem to know a lot about lombak

what hotel would you recommend staying at

Puri Mas

Alang Alang

or Hotel Tugu

We are staying in Lombok over New Year's and are looking to party a bit ( between the ages of 24-26). We want to relax during the day in a very nice setting but want to be close enough to some bars?

Mentioned in this post
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gili t-mataram beach

Tugu is in a quite remote location at Sire beach in Tanjung near Gili islands. It is also quite expensive and the design concept can come across as being somewhat disjointed and unresolved. It gets mixed reviews. If you want to stay there I suggest you have a good look at the new Lombok Lodge on the adjacent Medana peninsula next to the Oberoi resort. http://www.thelomboklodge.com/

The nearest bar culture is either a boat trip away to nearby Gili T or a longish taxi ride south to Senggigi.

If you want to stay in Mangsit beach (location of Puri Mas and Alang Alang) then it would be a good idea to give consideration to Qunci villas, especially the Qunci poolside villas which is the newer of the 2 Qunci properties on the beachfront at Mangsit beach. http://www.quncivillas.com

Qunci is very good value and is on a nice central location at the beach with beachside swimming pools and dining areas. Qunci has extensive TA reviews. Lombok Lodge has just a few reviews as it is still very new. It is owned and operated by a Belgium couple and is slick and focussed.

Lombok Lodge is quiter,more remote and more expensive, Qunci is still of a very high standard with an enduring reputation. It is also a very good price when compared to the other alternatives mentioned. It is on a beach only a short distance by taxi or bemo to the Senggigi township with lots of dining and other attractions. The offset is that things in Mangsit are a little more noisy due to being closer to a village and the main road. It is still pretty quiet most times though.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 06:45
Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
The Lombok Lodge
The Lombok Lodge
908 Reviews
Lombok, Indonesia
Senggigi
Senggigi
Lombok, Indonesia
Mangsit
Mangsit
Lombok, Indonesia
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gili t-mataram beach

easy to organise a private boat from hotel you will be staying at.

we hired one from the gilis and cruising along the coastline in itself made it a worthwhile trip. by memory i think it took 1 1/2 hours.

5. Re: gili t-mataram beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Mataram