We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

Zichron Yaakov...
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

Just had to share …

This week I took the train from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem on my own, when I could just sit and enjoy the view.

It was heaven! I timed it so that I would arrive in Jerusalem as the sun was setting. I made sure to sit on the left of the train, window seat, facing forward.

……

The train leaves on the dot.

The first part of the journey takes me out of the built up areas of Tel Aviv to reveal intimate glimpses of people’s back yards. Within minutes I am seeing planted fields, sheep and even some domestic camels. I sweep by Lod, Ramle, and then I am away from human habitation. A look at the map will reveal that in this tiny country, these fields are an even tinier part – but somehow as you travel along you feel as if you are a thousand miles from civilization. The waving wheat is a rich green, the searing winds have not yet turned it golden. Then the track veers eastward and more fields are on the left, a Tel stands out upon the plain (Samson was here!), a forested slope is on the right, and the wild flowers are competing for my attention.

Bet Shemesh; the train empties and I know the best is yet to come. Towering cliffs on the right, the valley falling away below on the left, with glimpses of rushing water, the Sorek River. Yellow is the predominant colour, broom, acacia, wild chrysanthemums, mustard, with here and there a splash of red, anemones, red buttercups, poppies. The glorious redbud tree with its deep pink blossom, the cream flowers of the strawberry tree and the creamier flowers of the storax, all delight the eye.

I see kingfishers and jays, kestrels and eagles. A family of chukkars scuttle up the embankment (why do these birds never fly, I wonder). A jackal is hunting, following a well-worn path.

Ancient terraces, originally built by the returning Children of Israel 3000 years ago, straddle the hills. Today they encompass tiny plots planted with vegetables, vines, olive trees. I know I am approaching Jerusalem.

Whoever said this train is not fast enough has never travelled on it. The speed is perfect for watching nature as we pass it by –I find myself looking at my watch, wishing for the time to go slower.

Sadly the journey is at an end!

I'll be back!

Pamela Levene

p.s An hour and a half of sheer bliss for 20 shekels (less than 5 dollars)

Masada Fortress
Ancient Ruins, Historical & Heritage Tours, Architectural Buildings
Fine Art & Doll Museum
Art Museums, Speciality Museums
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
473 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

Anon,

We are not in a hurry, just looking forward to the wonderful ride in this amazing weather (ever hopeful for some blessed rain).

Graham

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

If you do it tomorrow morning, be sure to wave at the train coming from the opposite direction...

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

Graham, FYI, there's a wild cat train strike which started today so you better get some info before you set on the road.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
473 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

We had perfect journeys there and back. Only the Jerusalem traffic was a problem as you said.

If time is not pressing upon you, I recommend this mode of transport for TLV - JLM

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

Glad you had a good journey, Graham.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

Graham, how did you get from the Jerusalem train station to your ultimate destination? When I made this (very enjoyable) trip we had trouble getting a taxi at Malcha station, but that was two years ago. (Time sure does fly!). I'm also highly appreciating the glorious weather, but share your recognition of the need for rain.

Daphne

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

It is still a problem. There are busses to town and if you have a cell with you, a taxi can be ordered.

18. Re: The Tel Aviv Jerusalem train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 12:19