We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what kind of shoes?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
what kind of shoes?

We are staying in Beer Sheba but will travel to Jerusalem, the Dead Sea and Eilat. I have closed toed shoes for synagogue, water shoes for the ocean, and tennis shoes for my camel ride. What I am wondering is, are sandals appropriate for Beer Sheba? I guess maybe it depends on how much walking we will be doing? Is it a sandy place? (Probably a stupid question, but humor me please.) I am anxious about what to pack and we leave tomorrow.

Laura

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what kind of shoes?

Beer Sheva is a city like any other. You won't be walking in sand there, but rather on sidewalks like any other urban area.

Sandals are good to bring at this time of year for Israel, regardless of which city you will be using as your base.

The rainy season will begin very soon, so you'll definitely want a pair of closed shoes as well.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,551 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what kind of shoes?

Sandals are acceptable all over. Unless you are going to a Chareidi synagogue you can wear them there too. ( I do in my Kippah Sruga ( relgious Zionist) synagogue. ) Make sure you are talking good walking sandals, not the kind that until a few years ago were beachwear only. ( those are acceptable too, but you will regret it because in Israel you find you are walking a lot!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what kind of shoes?

Comfortable, not new.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what kind of shoes?

Many women wear open-toed sandals to synagogue services on Shabbat. I can't think of anywhere that sandals aren't appropriate in Israel, except as rdglady mentioned.

You may want your tennis shoes for various places in Israel that aren't paved, just because those tiny pebbles make for a very uncomfortable walk in sandals. Those plus a sturdy pair of comfy sandals are all you'll need.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,513 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what kind of shoes?

Another vote for sandals and an added twist. Many people insist on closed shoes for touring, walking, etc. This is really a matter of personal. If you have a good, comfortable pair of sports sandals and are comfortable walking in them, there is no reason not to use them for hiking as well. Many people do - I am firmly in that camp and have done some extensive hikes and treks in sandals (Chako's to be exact).

The most important thing is to wear what you are comfortable with.

6. Re: what kind of shoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2017, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Beersheba