We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caesarea Damage

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Caesarea Damage

I'm still waiting for pictures, but this is one of the few articlkes that assess the damage:

haaretz.com/weekend/week-s-end/render-unto-c…

At the end of the article, they note:

"If we don't provide an immediate solution, in the next storm the site at Caesarea is liable to collapse totally, including more of the ancient port, the aqueduct, the city wall from the Byzantine period and so on. Even the Roman theater has been left defenseless. If it is hurt, [singer] Shlomo Artzi will have to find another venue for his performances."

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caesarea Damage

With all due respect to Shlomo Artzi (who is not the only artist who performs in the Caesarea amphitheatre), I think most of us are far more concerned with preserving the ruins for their historic and archaelogical value than as a venue for Mr. Artzi.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caesarea Damage

Could we please let Dogmeat post SOMETHING on this topic without scolding him? I don't always agree with his views, and I am sure he does not always agree with mine, but he is a great contributor to this site, and this is his second post on the topic that was read way over-literally and then it was implied that he does not take seriously the scope of the loss (of life, in the first one, and of the antiquities, in the second).

Let's lighten up a bit, folks! And a happy, peaceful, healthy 2011 to all!

Douglas Duckett

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caesarea Damage

According to the news reports The CEO of Israel Nature and Parks Authority has already met with the the minister of tourism and they are working on a plan to rehabilitation all that is ruin by the storm. The plan should be handing to government approval in the next few weeks.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caesarea Damage

"government approval " that will be the day...I hope that the company- the Rotschild foundation - operating the site will do it not the government.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caesarea Damage

shoshi.. I doubt if anyone but the government will rebuild the wave breaker that collapsed...

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caesarea Damage

Thank you Douglas. Many years on the internet have taught me that people often innocently misread what is written and sometimes respond in ways that read more harshly than they would ever respond in person. Such is the bane of this kind of communication.

---------

At the risk of boring some of you, I know that many people don’t know about one of the great moments of Jewish history and devotion that happened in the amphitheater in Caesarea in 26AD. This spot is right next to and open to the ocean and certainly must be in great danger of storm damage. I would hate to see it lost forever.

"Now Pilate, who was sent as procurator into Judea by Tiberius, sent by night those images of Caesar that are called ensigns into Jerusalem. This excited a very great tumult among the Jews when it was day; for those that were near them were astonished at the sight of them, as indications that their laws were trodden under foot; for those laws do not permit any sort of image to be brought into the city. Nay, besides the indignation which the citizens had themselves at this procedure, a vast number of people came running out of the country. These came zealously to Pilate to Caesarea, and besought him to carry those ensigns out of Jerusalem, and to preserve them their ancient laws inviolable; but upon Pilate's denial of their request, they fell down prostrate upon the ground, and continued immovable in that posture for five days and as many nights.

On the next day Pilate sat upon his tribunal, in the great stadium and called to him the multitude, as desirous to give them an answer; and then gave a signal to the soldiers, that they should all by agreement at once encompass the Jews with their weapons; so the band of soldiers stood round about the Jews in three ranks.

The Jews were under the utmost consternation at that unexpected sight. Pilate also said to them that they should be cut in pieces, unless they would admit of Caesar's images, and gave intimation to the soldiers to draw their naked swords. Hereupon the Jews, as it were at one signal, fell down in vast numbers together, and exposed their necks bare, and cried out that they were sooner ready to be slain, than that their law should be transgressed. Hereupon Pilate was greatly surprised at their prodigious superstition, and gave order that the ensigns should be presently carried out of Jerusalem." (From Josephus, War II 9.2.)

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caesarea Damage

I wasn't in any way criticizing Dogmeat!!

It's the official from Caesarea who was citing the need to preserve the amphitheatre for Shlomo Artzi--not Dogmeat.

8. Re: Caesarea Damage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 06:22