We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

Which Ein Gedi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

Are there any safety issues to consider when driving from Masada to Jerusalem?

We are thinking of touring Masada and Mineral beach (or similar beach nearby) on our own (family of 5 incl. 3 teens) on our way to Jerusalem from the north (probably Amirin), in early August .

In the google map it seems that Mineral beach (which has been recommended multiple times in this forum and sounds great to me) is located in the Palestinian territory? Am I reading the map correctly: North-west Dead Sea Coast is under Palestinian-control, South-west Dead Sea coast under Israel control?

My Frommers Israel 2011 edition advices agaist driving in the Pal. territoriy...at the same time recommending route 90 as a beautiful scenic road along the Dead sea coast.

Thanks for helping me make sense of this area and all the other great, reliable and generous advice you all always give to us tourists. Cant wait for our trip!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

Mineral Beach is not in Palestinian Territory. I do not know what map you are looking at but either you are reading it wrong or, more likely, it is making a political statement. It is totally safe to drive from Masada to Jerusalem using route 90 and route 1. ( probably safer than some areas of DC)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

None of the Israeli side of the Dead Sea is in PA territory. Any and all of the beaches are totally safe, as is the drive down Hwy 90. I did it just yesterday, nothing to wory about.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

The confusion is due to the political dispute over what is "Palestinian Territory". Since Israel signed the Oslo Accords with the PLO in the 90's,all of the 'West Bank' is divided into three areas, A, B and C.

A = Full Palestinian military and political control. Such as Ramallah, Bethlehem, Jericho, etc.

B= Palestinian administrative control and Israeli Military control

C= Full Israeli control, both military and administrative.

All of route 90 is in area C which means that in practice it is the same as any other area in 'Israel proper' but some maps will mark it as "Palestine" or "Palestinian territory" depending on the political views of the map maker. The official position of the Israeli Government is that all of these territories are 'Disputed Territories' the status of which are waiting to be determined in a negotiated peace treaty with the Palestinians.

When you see warnings not to enter 'Palestinian Territories' it generally referring to area A or even B but not area C which is under full Israeli administration and security.

I hope this makes this confusing situation a bit more clear.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,604 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

The road is totally safe. I don't recommend driving on highway 90 at night because there are no atreetlights and the road has alot of twists and hills. Other than that you are perfectly fine driving there.

Enjoy!

Chana

Israel

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

All this has been written repeatedly but....please don't forget that the Oslo Accords were also signed by Russia and the US !

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

Very informative posts above touching on a complex political situation.

Road 90 from Masada until the north west corner of the Dead Sea is of good quality but is relatively narrow and twisty so drive carefully.

…flickr.com/2796/4042441894_f510cc296b.jpg

If you want to enjoy the beautiful views, stop at one of the designated viewpoints. Going north, there is one checkpoint on this road where you may be asked to show your passport.

Once you turn west to highway 1, it quickly becomes a much wider and more modern road.

The biggest concern is getting off at the correct highway exit when you get to Jerusalem and finding your hotel.

7. Re: Safest driving directions Masada to Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ein Gedi