We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a restaurant in jaffa

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
a restaurant in jaffa

In June we ate at "The old man and the sea" which was very nice. A friend of mine (israeli) was taken to a very small restaurant in Jaffa but unfortunately she cannot remember the name. SHe says it looked absolutely awful from outside and not so good inside but the food was outstanding. Maybe someone can think of one or are there lots in Jaffa that fit that description

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

In my experience, there are lots of restaurants all over Israel that fit that description.

Help us by narrowing it down. What kind of restaurant was it? What kind of food did they serve? Was it kosher? Any details about the surroundings (near the sea, inland, near any landmarks, etc.)?

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

It was in Jaffa. I wish i had more information then I would give it. It was Arab food (do they have kosher restaurants in Jaffa?) SHe ws taken by a friend who lives in Israel and told that its a little restaurant not many people know about and the food is outstanding. She said that if she had walked passed she would never have gone it cause it looked so awful. All i know is that it was in Jaffa unfortuantely

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,778 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

If she was taken there by a friend why not simply ask the friend - probably the easiest and best way to find the same place again.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

I know BUT firstly I dont know the friend and secondly I dont think they want to give out the name because its a "secret" - you get people like that.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,805 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

There are kosher restaurants in Jaffa which serve Middle-Eastern food. Was the place near the marina, in the center of town, in the Old City, on a quiet/busy street, near the clock tower or near the touristy area? Help us narrow down the possibilities.

Chana

Israel

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

I'll see what info she will part with

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

There is only one I can think of - Monka on Yehuda Hayamit street. Faboulus kebabs, not kosher. If you go there ask for "kzizot" not kebabs. Don't touch the french fries.

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

Shoshi, you made me curious. What's wrong with the french fries? And hungry - now I want some french fries!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

They are oily and discussting. Otherwise the food is good, best are the 2 kinds of kebabs (kzizot and regular kebab), the lamb soup and the rice+beans.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a restaurant in jaffa

Chana, I too am looking for a small, casual eatery in Jaffa that I couldn't find on my last visit Dec '08. It was a husband and wife team offering mainly kebabs, Moroccon salads, etc. It was delicious, but I couldn't seem to find it again in one of the side streets near the shuk, I think.

Please help, as I'd like to go back there in Dec.

Thanks

Sharon

Get answers to your questions about Jaffa