We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Hi all! I don't know where to book a hotel? Can you please tell me what are these 2 cities can offer to my family. My family only want to stay in 1 hotel for our 7 days visit to Israel. we love shopping and we don't fancy a night life. so I don't know what to do on our spare time. Please help. Thank you very much in advance.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

What are you planning for your seven days ? Will you be renting a car ? What ages are the children ? What are your interests ? When are you arriving ?

Your family may not like changing hotels but they might like traveling back and forth every day to the one hotel even less.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Gosh! Two very different cities. One is modern and the other filled with ancient history and religious sites. I would stay at two different sites to avoid excess travelling even though the country is small. Perhaps most of the time in Jerusalem plus a few days in Tel Aviv. Jerusalem is very special and you could easily spend your entire trip there but you might enjoy a couple of nights in Tel Aviv too.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

I suggest you read a guide book, or search this forum, to see what each of the cities has to offer. Both Jerusalem and Tel Aviv are filled with interesting sites, and things to see and do, but obviously not all of them appeal to everybody equally. Shopping is pretty much the same in both, although Jerusalem is better for religious-type souvenirs and articles, if that's what you're looking for.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,622 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

I will add that staying in one city and driving everywhere -- particularly to the north -- is really a huge waste of time. While Israel is small, it's not that small, and it can have brutal traffic, particularly in rush hour, which often coincides with the beginning and end of a day of driving and touring. For example, for most sites in the north, it's a two to three hour drive each way from other city.

I'd recommend two nights in Tel Aviv, two in the north, and the rest of your time in Jerusalem. You can return to the airport easily from either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

I think you should figure out what you want to do/see, and then decide where you want to stay.

In broad terms, Jerusalem has more unique sites to offer the tourist, so if you are only going to stay in 1 hotel, make it there. However, I agree with Labatt that if you plan on seeing more of the country, it is in your best interest to pick up and change hotels mid-trip.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

I have to agree that staying in only one place makes for lots of wasted transportation time. If you absolutely insist on staying in one hotel however, make it one in Jerusalem. What are you planning on shopping for? Jerusalem has both tourist shops in the center of town, Then there is Mamilla , new and modern, which has a limited amount of decent priced shopping and more high end shopping. You can also take a bus to Malcha Mall which is very large and modern and has everything. However, I hope you are coming to Israel to do more than shop!

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

I am a little confused over why you have chosen to go to Israel with two children (according to your previous post) yet you don't seem to want to show your children much in the country and you want to spend your time shopping. What is it that has made you choose Israel? What do you want to see and show your children in the country itself?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Since you are undecided about which city to stay in, I will assume that Jerusalem does not hold much interest to you as a religious destination or as a historical destination. It is a fascinating city but just given the nature of your question, you may be happier staying in Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv has lots of sites to see including Old Jaffa, and is close to Holon which has a fantastic children's museum. There is the beach, of course, and parks, shopping, markets, much as you would expect in many European cities. You can take a day trip to Jerusalem to see the sites there (or to visit some of the shopping available there as well especially in the Old City).

Israel is filled with interesting sites and activities. It would really enrich your trip if after you decide where to stay, you put together something of an itinerary which we could help you with.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,264 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Please rethink your one hotel stay and let us know what your plans are for your visit.

Chana

Israel

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Hi! Were born catholic and i want to show my kids about the biblical sites that can be seen in there own eyes. We were a traveller and we been to different places in europe, australia, singapore, hongkong, philippines and many to mention. In other words we want to travel the world. Of course we need to mention shopping as well cause thats my best bit. Anyway thank you all for your kindness in helping me out to solve my problem. Thanks again

Get answers to your questions about Jaffa