We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Israel on my own

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Israel on my own

Hi everyone,

I am flying to Tel Aviv in 10 days and I will spend a week in Israel on my own; I rent a room in the Old Jaffa and planning to explore Tel Aviv and have one-day trips by bus to Haifa, Akko, Masada and the Dead Sea. If you have some useful advices, I’ll be glad to hear them.

Many, many thanks!!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Day trips to Haifa and Akko are better done by train. Bus no. 10 or 18 depending where your accommodation is will bring you to the Savidor train station. It is easier to navigate to this station and not to the Hagana station near the CBS. For Massada and the Dead Sea the easiest to take a tour by Egged, Ben-Harim or any other company offering these tours. I don't see a day tour to Jerusalem. For that you need bus no. 480 from the bus station next to the Savidor train station. Enjoy your trip and do not hesitate to come to the forum for more info/suggestions.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Dear Shoshi,

thank you ! My accommodation is on Sderot Yerushalayim. Should I book this day-trip to Massada- Dead Sea already, what do you mean?

Many rainy regards from Munich,

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Israel on my own

You can book the tour when you are already here. Just go to a travel agent for that or your hotel desk, but I guess you are staying at a hotel. There is a travel agent on Shderot Yerushalim on the west side of the street right after the fountain (going south). I think the name is Balkan Tours. Even if they do not do that they can direct you to someone who does. cross the street on Olei Zion street is a very good bakery (oriental style). If you need more recommendations just ask.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Well Shoshi, you're great! No, I rent a private accommodation, sorry, nr.77. But again, thanks. Would be a pleasure discovering unkown places on my own. If I would need extra information, I'll be here again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Israel on my own

I travelled to Tel Aviv by myself few months ago and totally enjoyed it! It's not dangerous at all, could easily walk back to my hotel even late at night, Tel Aviv is an easy city to walk through. Jaffa and the new port and the walk along the beach are simply amazing, I never felt more relaxed. As for tours, you could check free walks in Tel Aviv and there is a company Sandeman I think that's organizing walks in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. You could also do day trips to Dead Sea etc. Don't believe everything you hear about being dangerous etc, media tend to exaggerate. I enjoyed it so much that I'm planning a second trip soon! Have fun

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Thanks a lot! I totaly agree with you, and I am pretty sure I'll be there for a second time too. Long walks and renting a bike are definitelly on my list! Honestly, I didn't spent a minute thinking it would dangerous, recently too, because visiting Israel is an old dream,and i am decided to enjoy my trip there.Refreshing my Iwrit already..

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Israel on my own

I've just found this website, it's a trip planner all over Israel, by car, bus or train. Great help!

rome2rio.com/s/…Jaffa-Jerusalem-railway

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,926 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Andrea, that rome2rio site gets zero points. Epic failure on all counts.

The 480 bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem takes one hour, not 2 hours 8 minutes! The 400 bus goes nowhere near Tel Aviv. Train five times a day? (There are 12 trains a day from TA to Jerusalem.) Line 182? What nonsense is that?

This website has been mentioned before and it's complete rubbish.

By far the most convenient way from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is by bus, not by train. The 480 will take you from the terminal in north Tel Aviv to the Jerusalem central bus station in one hour, and goes every 10-15 minutes. The 405 goes, likewise every 10-15 minutes from the Tel Aviv central bus station, to Jerusalem.

Train is recommended if you want to enjoy the scenery and have plenty of time - which you don't with only one week in total - and don't mind having to get to/from the Jerusalem railway station, which is in a distant suburb.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 12:43
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Shuffaluff thank U, I'll keep this in mind!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,926 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Israel on my own

Snorts of derision or shrieks of laughter, on that rome2rio map, now I've had a few minutes to look at it. I see now what the 182 is. It is a bus that runs twice a day or thereabouts from Beit Shemesh to a village about 20 km from Jerusalem. No normal human being would ever take this route to get from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem (and no, neither would I...) Bottom line, ignore it totally.

An equivalent (since you are from Munich), would be, if you wanted to go from Munich to Berlin, would be to take a train three stations along the line, then another train from there to Stuttgart, a bus to some village between Stuttgart and Frankfurt, and then a train (changing a few times along the way) to somewhere 20 km from Berlin. Not to Berlin itself.

Get answers to your questions about Jaffa